Chapter 29

Niel noticed Atlas was tensed. It didn't take a genius to notice. Atlas had taken his mate quickly out of the hospital. Dragged was a better word. The Alpha didn't even bother to grab Niel by his hand to make it less noticeable, no, he aimed for the arm and guided both of them as quickly as possible out of the hospital. Heads turned when they passed, some even quirked up a brow, thinking about what got two people leaving a hospital so fast.

Their hasty speed toward the exit was abnormal of course. In most instances, people hurried inside a hospital, for either need for care or need for information about loved ones. In both cases people tried to keep themselves together, trying to be realists in bad situations, knowing bad outcomes were a huge plausibility, but always hoped for the best. Their hope being their biggest dream and most horrified nightmare at the same time.

But none of this was happening to the Alpha couple. No, they had their information, they had their internal battle of knowing the severity of the situation and had already hoped for the best. They had a whole other battle waiting for them.

Atlas had become territorial when Arabella mentioned taking both her mother and brother with her far away. But this wasn't Atlas biggest concern. Shortly after, he got a message from the pack. It contained the early arrival of Maddoxe and Katherine. Atlas' parents weren't supposed to arrive this early, their initial arrival should be in a week, a day before Atlas' birthday.

Atlas knew something was wrong, so when he asked and got answered it was better to speak with them for himself. Then a sudden dread came over Atlas. He knew he had to get out of there. As an Alpha and werewolf, his instincts took over and told him he was too far away from his safe haven, his camp base, his pack. And above all his mate wasn't within the safe borders he had set. Niel wasn't safe, his pack wasn't safe, and Atlas himself wasn't safe. Therefore their return was of utmost importance.

All of this wasn't known by Niel. He just sat there in the passenger seat, of their pitch-black jeep, anticipating answers. Observing Atlas as he did so. He noticed the tight grip Atlas held on the steering wheel, the small trickle of sweat on his forehead, and his heavy breathing.

The only answer he could come up by himself, with the knowledge he had, was what? He couldn't come up with one. Was Atlas back to his extremely possessive self? Was his sketchy, but not sketchy behavior to go to his mother, such a setback for the werewolf to go back to his instincts? This thought angered the teenager. Also, the fact he couldn't search for a reasonable explanation for his behavior frustrated him even more. Hadn't he shown Atlas enough that he could be trusted? Hadn't he shown enough affection? Should he overstep his own boundaries? This angered him even more because with every kiss, hug, or touch shared between them there was still a tiny voice in his head whispering it was wrong. Niel still fought his own battles in his head while trying to move forward as well and for what? For Atlas become his territorial, possessive self again?

Anger rose to Niel's head. He felt the familiar burn in his chest. He started to fume. The teenager was about to scream and shout about how ridiculous Atlas was being. He clenched his fist, shut his eyes tightly, open his mouth and-

"I am sorry."

Three soothing words, cooling Niel down.

"I am sorry, we shouldn't have left like that..." Atlas sighed. Niel noticed something was up and it wasn't about him. How could have been so selfish? Thinking it was all about him.

"My parents arrived early, I don't know why, but I know it isn't because they missed me."

Niel nodded his head, his anger ebbing away with every movement he made. His face softened. He could see how the tension had turned into worry and Niel worried about Atlas. That was something new, Niel thought. Feeling such sympathy for – technically – his kidnapper. But that wasn't how he saw the Alpha, no, that wouldn't do any good. Still, it was a first he felt like this.