Chapter 15

"So let's start with the basics. In a pack you have the Alpha, Beta, Delta and the warriors. These four parties are the most important when it come to leading and protecting the pack." Rain explained.

She had taken Niel to the reading room, something the teenager found strange. They had already a library, so why a reading room? According to Rain it was simple, the library was to keep the books, the reading room was for, well, reading the books. Niel thought you could do both in one, but again the shewolf disagreed.

"Okay, what's the Delta for?"

"Let's start up top, shall we? First, the Alpha. He leads the pack, protects the pack and has the last word concerning pack affairs. He gets his position assigned by birth, although a new Alpha can always be challenged by a pack member to take his place. Most of the time this happens within the Alpha's family, cousin against cousin or brother against brother."

Niel tilted his head. "Why mostly within the Alpha family?" Sitting like this felt familiar for the teenager, like he would sit down with his mother to talk about the Bible. It both gave him a warm feeling of his old home, but homesickness as well. The memory of seeing his parents the last time was burned in his head and he felt the pain of that memory every single day.

"Because they all have an alpha gene, making them stronger than an average pack member. Sometimes a Beta can have enough power too, but they are far too loyal to the alpha's." Rain shifted in her seat, putting her legs over the armrest of the big, comfy armchair she was sitting in. The very same Niel was sitting in but across from her.

"Now, the Beta. He is like the vice-president like you humans have. He fills in for the Alpha when he is gone, he advices the Alpha and makes sure everything that is going on within the pack is reported to the Alpha. He, also, gets his position assigned by birth and can get challenged."

Niel nodded, trying to follow along everything Rain had said. She had pulled him from his room to keep his mind from everything that happened to him. Pushing Niel to know at least some of the customs and traditions so he wouldn't be so harshly judged by the pack.

"Then we arrive at the topic of the Delta. He is the one who commands the warriors – uhm, like a General commanding the army." Rain took a swig from the bottle of cola before she continued. "The Delta is responsible for the protection of our borders and also advices the Alpha, but only about safety measurements. Again his position is also assigned by birth. Ezra, that stone-cold man, is our Delta. If you were wondering."

Rain sighed as Ezra popped up in her head.

"The warriors are our soldiers carrying out the task of protecting the borders and keeping the peace within the pack, like... like the police. Does that make sense?"

The teenager looked outside, watching two warriors passing by. First Niel wouldn't even notice they were warriors, but after his visit to his hometown he saw some similarities in their dressing and physical appearance. They were all slightly bigger, more muscled, taller, broader.

In a way it felt good to know more about these people. Less questions, more answers meant less anxious. Still everything was easier if Niel didn't need to know about werewolves and their way of living.

Then heavy footsteps were heard and the door to the reading room was opened. Atlas entered, followed by some woman. "All right Rain, I think that's enough from you now. I found someone who is bit more suited to the task."

The young shewolf got up offended. "I am suited for the task, it went fine now, didn't it Niel?" Niel opened his mouth to agree, but Atlas beat him to it. "No need to drag Niel into this. Now Rain, if you please," The Alpha signalled his cousin to leave the room as he stepped aside and pointed at the door.