Chapter 8

There he stood with his backpack on his back and crutches in his hand. Niel had no idea where to go. He walked for a while when he thought Lucas would be his best option. His friend's place was far away from him, but Niel had no other option, unfortunately.

Lucas didn't live in the suburbs like most of the people did in Wheaperlyn Lake, his parents had their own bookstore in town and they lived above it. At the same time, it was also the only bookstore in town and a very popular one that. It was because when Lucas' parents found out Young Adults books were the favorite genre of teenage girls they had hit a jackpot. This was also in Lucas' favor. Girls were coming to his house without even asking for something the hormonal teenager was very happy about.

Niel wasn't even halfway through the suburbs when he felt exhausted. His hands started to blister and the muscles in his arms started to cramp. He sighed in relief when he saw a bench in the distance.

When he plopped down exhaustion hit him like a brick in the face and he didn't know if he could get up anymore. It was then it slowly came to Niel that he wasn't welcome home anymore. He didn't have a home anymore to flee to, to find rescue to. He felt too numb to let realization hit but sad he was. The teenage boy sat there for almost an hour, staring into space.

Niel was brought back to reality, however, when a car drove up to him. His head snapped to the jeep that was coming closer and closer. By the looks of the car Niel had only one person in mind, still, he wished it wasn't true. Silently Niel hoped it would be the crappy car of Lucas, the car he had bought from some old man that wasn't in a good condition but the only one he could effort.

The jeep stopped right in front of him and Niel managed to make out two silhouettes in the front seats. The engine was cut off and soon both car doors opened and there he was. The very same person who ruined Niel's life.

"Please go away," The teenager pleaded.

Atlas walked up to Niel and crouched down, concerned to find his mate in this state. Behind him stood Levi watching over the area. "What happened? Why are you out here and not at home?"

Niel closed his eyes, not in the mood for anything. The only thing he wanted was to be left alone. "Just go."

"Not before you tell me why you are here with a packed bag all by yourself."

Atlas stood up and crossed his arms, raising his brows. Soon other creatures might find out Niel was his mate and would become therefore a target, meaning he would be in danger when alone. The need to protect Niel increased by the minute because of that.

Niel on the other hand didn't understand that, didn't even know he could be a possible target to beings he had never heard of who would be way more dangerous than werewolves.

"If you are really wondering what happened... I got kicked out because of you." Saying it out loud was even worse than thinking of it, Niel thought.

"Kicked out? What do you mean?"

Niel sighed. "I mean kicked out of the house, meaning I have no home now, so thanks a lot...not."

Atlas' face softened. He tried to grab his mate's hands, trying to comfort him. Niel didn't appreciate that, however. He yanked his hands out of his grip and looked away.

"All right, how about you come with us? You can move into your old room."

Niel's eyes widened. "No! First of all, it was never my room to begin with. Second I am not coming with you. You only give me trouble. Stay away from me!"

It was now Atlas who sighed. "It wasn't an option, Niel." With that, the big guy took the backpack and moved it into the car. "Come."

Niel couldn't believe what was happening. Atlas never was the person who listened to him, but he was always friendly about it. But this kind of controlling behavior was something he hadn't witnessed before and it scared him. It also didn't help that Atlas wore a tight short-sleeved shirt that defined every muscle and with his hair tied up he could see his clenched jaw, indicating Atlas didn't have much patience for him anymore.