Chapter 17

MIA

"You missed a spot!" cried a voice from behind me, causing me to laugh, nodding in agreement. I quickly passed the paint brush over to the little boy, gesturing for him to take my place at the classroom wall.

"You try Louis. I'm sure you're a lot better at it than I am anyway."

He got to work, splashing the intense green paint all over the wall, smothering it, causing it to trickle down onto the blue tarpaulin that was conveniently placed at our feet.

Leaving Louis with the other children who were working on the wall, I made my way over to one of the classroom tables, perching myself on it and grabbing a rag. I wiped at my forehead that was splattered with paint, desperate for a shower.

"Well, the pastel green really was an interesting choice," chuckled Lily as she hopped onto the table next to me, taking a swig of water from her metal bottle.

I nodded in agreement, grimacing at the blinding colour. "I did try and steer them towards the blue."

"Ladies!" called Miss Aldridge from behind us, a beaming smile plastered on her face, "I just want to say how grateful I am for you both! We've been wanting to redecorate for a while!"

"Of course," replied Lily, offering a smile. "It was actually Mia's idea."

Miss Aldridge's eyes widened, and she turned to me, her eyes welling up with tears. "Mia, we really appreciate it! I know that the whole building needs reconstructing, but if the children have a lovely classroom to work in, I know it's really going to motivate them!"

"I'm happy to hear that. They're all working very hard," I responded, noticing how Lily raised her brows at me, but I ignored it. I smiled as Miss Aldridge made her way back over to the wall, grabbing her abandoned paint brush, laughing with a few of her students as she continued painting.

"Are you going to tell them who you are?" asked Lily, causing me to sigh, swinging my legs as I readjusted myself on the table.

"They'll find out I'm Lorenzo's mate eventually," I said, my voice quiet.

If I admitted to everyone I was the future Luna, they would all expect Luna behaviour and that was something I wasn't sure I could deliver yet.

I knew that Doctor Mac knew, as well as people higher up in the pack, but nobody else had clocked on, which I was thankful for. I enjoyed being treated as an average pack member.

The idea of becoming a Luna scared me, and I hadn't fully come to terms with it. However, I had been pushing it to the back of my mind, and spending time with Lily helped. I watched the way she was with the members of her pack, it all coming so naturally to her.

She just radiated like-ability.

We had been spending the past couple of days attempting to reconstruct the classroom for the children, and I could see how excited they all were to be spending time with their Beta. Her presence attracted everyone's attention in the room as if an A-list celebrity had entered.

I had noticed a couple of the children smiling at me, whispering amongst themselves, which made me nervous, anxious that they found me dead weight compared to Lily. But, they were all welcoming, and they warmed to me very quickly.