Chapter 44

LORENZO

I eyed up Greg as I clutched onto his shirt, noticing how my knuckles were turning white from how tightly I was crinkling the thick material, it now blood stained and soggy.

"You're deluded if you think I'm trusting you," I spat, growling in his face, angling my arm, ready to chuck him against the stone wall again.

I would have preferred to make his death more painful, however, I didn't have much time before the witches heard what was happening and came rushing down to Greg's aid.

If I was going to kill him, it needed to be fast.

"Please," Greg whimpered, his eyes welling up with tears as he gripped onto my flexed bicep, panic stricken, his eyes wide. "You won't gain much from killing me. You'll still be trapped here, but I will help you escape if you let me live!"

I scoffed, rolling my eyes at the scientist, offended that he would even ask me to allow him to live and agree to his pathetic deal.

"What's stopping you from just continuing to work with Ophelia if I let you live?" I asked, cocking my head at Greg, waiting to hear his sad reply.

"She's going to kill me anyway," Greg whispered, turning his head to take a peek up the staircase, breathing a sigh of relief once he realised the door was shut. "I heard her talking about it to one of the witches. I'll be of no use to them anymore once I give them my other files. I believed that she was going to allow me experiment on you, but it seems that's not the case."

"I thought witches always stuck to their word," Mia chimed in, and I nodded in agreement. Ophelia had made a big fuss on how witches stuck to a deal once it was made, and it seemed odd that she was now revoking hers with Greg, making me suspicious that he was just lying to try and get out of being killed.

The whole reason Mia and I were here was because Ophelia was under the impression that I had gone back on my word to strike up a deal with her.

"It seems she no longer trusts me because of your condition," Greg said, his eyes snapping to my wound, reminding me how badly it was aching. The searing pain made its way all the way down my torso, my muscles feeling as if they were on fire. "She thinks I'm going to kill you with my experiments, and she doesn't want you dead."

"You gave me too much silver," I growled at him, and Greg closed his eyes tightly, holding his hands up defensively.

"I know, I'm sorry," he whined, his bottom lip trembling. "Just please let me give you some antibiotics and see if it helps. I will help you come up with a plan to kill Ophelia, because otherwise, I'm going to be disposed of anyway."

Mia cleared her throat at me, looking at me with pleading eyes, and I could tell that she wanted me to put my pride aside and accept help from Greg.

In reality, Mia and I didn't have a way out of here as of yet, and I was afraid that one of us would die before we figured out how to escape.

I was sure that our pack would be looking for us, but, we couldn't just sit around and wait for them to find us. We had a limited amount of time left, and I was frightened for Mia's safety.

I didn't know what other tricks Ophelia had up her sleeve.

Groaning, I chewed on the inside of my cheek, unable to believe what I was about to do.