Chapter 60

LORENZO

I had gone up into my office, wanting to allow Mia some time alone with her friends. I kept my ears open though, listening in occasionally just to make sure that Mia was okay. I had been forcing myself to try and work, but, her heartbeat had been fluctuating which was putting me on edge, and I found myself almost venturing downstairs to go and check on her.

I knew that she was in good hands though, and I would be able to hear clearly if anything did go wrong.

My laptop was boring me, and I groaned as I sifted through the sheer amount of emails I needed to respond to. They were all of no interest to me, and I ran a hand down my face, cursing to myself in Italian.

This was going to take forever. It was no secret that work had been taking a bit of a back seat, but, I knew I needed to tackle it eventually. I was sure I could smash them all out tonight if I put my mind to it though. I would just need to keep reminding myself that my mate was safe downstairs.

Nobody was going to hurt her.

I tapped away at my keyboard, losing track of time. It went by much quicker than I had expected, and my eyes felt strained as I took my glasses off, throwing them down onto my wooden desk, rubbing at them furiously.

I was starving, but I didn't want to go down and ruin the mood for the girls. I couldn't take it anymore though, and I slipped out of my office.

I tried to be as quiet as possible, and I carefully made my way down the stairs, heading straight into the open plan kitchen. I couldn't help but peer into the dim living room, searching for Mia who was snuggled into the corner of the couch, her lips parted slightly as she rested her head on the arm of it.

I could hear the quiet snores escaping her, Lily, Natasha and Ellie all focusing intently on the television screen, the movie they were watching looking to be at a critical part. Lily was seated by my mate though, and I could see her gaze flash to her a few times, ensuring she was okay before re-focusing herself.

I sighed in contentment, smiling as I pulled open the fridge, helping myself to a slice of pizza, gnawing on it quickly. I found myself leaning back against the counter, pretending to fiddle around in the drawer, wanting to remain down here in Mia's presence for as long as possible.

Natasha looked over at me, smiling before averting her eyes. I knew all of the girls could tell I was watching them, but, my eyes were solely trained on Mia who was beginning to twitch slightly in her sleep.

I furrowed my brows, taking another tentative bite of my pizza, hearing my sleeping mate mumble something under her breath. She was scowling slightly, and Lily looked down at her, looking concerned.

Mia hadn't been taking her sleeping medication because of the circumstances, and I knew that she would revert back and face her old demons once again. I would need to make sure she took them before bed tomorrow, and I made a mental note to ask Doctor Mac to write her another prescription of them.

I remained in the kitchen for a little longer, fetching myself a glass of water and guzzling it down, watching Mia hesitantly. She continued to mumble, but louder, and I sighed, pursing my lips. Making my way over to them quietly, I noticed how Lily looked at me sorrowfully, and I offered her a sad smile, nodding towards my mate.

Seeing Mia struggle to sleep put me on edge, and I hated the fact that she was being tormented by her own mind.

I quickly tied my chains around my lower waist, wanting to keep them from touching Mia.