Chapter 63

MIA

Hearing that Ophelia was actually there in custody made me feel a thousand times better. Lorenzo had been pretty vague, letting me know that he still had his reservations about it all, but I knew that that was just because he was worried for our safety.

We had to do this though. We had to get Ophelia sentenced.

"So the trial is tomorrow?" I questioned Lily as we made our way down the village path towards the school. We had decided to visit the children, but apparently Miss Aldridge had briefed them on things not to ask me.

They were told that what had happened to me was a private matter, and it was impolite to bring it up. I was hoping nobody would, but I had planned a few answers in case any of the kids did ask.

Lily nodded, humming. She had also been a little vague about the details of the meeting, and I was growing frustrated.

"Are you going?" I pressed, and Lily nodded, offering me a small smile.

"Yes, Lorenzo is going to ask if we can also testify against Ophelia, but the judge will make the decision tomorrow," Lily said, keeping her eyes glued to the path in front of us, and I released a sigh.

Nobody had explicitly mentioned that I would be going, but I assumed I would be. Why would I not go and testify? I was the one who had had their mark ripped out from their neck by Ophelia's dark magic. The witches had specifically asked for Lorenzo and I to speak on our experience. They needed me there.

I pulled my thoughts away from the subject, knowing that everyone was a bit antsy right now. Tensions were high and we all just wanted to get the best result we could from the trial. After it was finished with, everything would go back to normal.

Craning my neck, I took in the space where my Mother had been buried, focusing on the trees and flowers that surrounded her grave. The ceremony had been beautiful, and I gazed at few butterflies that rested themselves on the bright tulips, making me smile slightly.

Lily took notice of my wandering eyes and put her arm around my shoulder, jostling me slightly.

"Are you okay?" she asked, and I instantly snapped back to reality, smiling at her.

"I'm okay," I responded, giving her a quick nod.

I was. I was happy. I just missed my parents and was regretful that Ophelia had taken the opportunity for me to rekindle with them from me, but I knew that holding onto that anger would only break me in the long run. I had to accept what had happened and move on from it. It was what my parents would have wanted.

We quickly reached the school, and the children all turned to us with wide smiles as we made our way in, Miss Aldridge following suit. She gestured us further into the classroom, and Lily and I took a seat at the back, listening in on the class.

Miss Aldridge was talking about numbers and counting today, subjects I had always found incredibly boring and difficult, and I found myself drifting off into space, my vision going slightly blurry as I allowed my mind to take over.

I imagined what tomorrow was going to entail, and I knew that I was going to be anxious to stand up in front of everyone and talk about what Ophelia had done to Lorenzo and I, but, I had come up with a few lines that I had been rehearsing.