Chapter 28

MIA

"Mia, can you come here a minute please, sweetheart?"

The hairs on the back of my neck stuck up at Lorenzo's tone, my heart hammering against my chest as I stepped out of the bathroom. My picture was clutched in his hands, his expression hard to read.

Had I done something to upset him?

"Yes?" I questioned, my voice timid, hands shaking behind my back.

"I'm assuming you just drew this?" he asked, holding the piece of paper out to me, causing me to nod slowly, embarrassed he had seen my pathetic attempt to regurgitate the horrific images in my head in person. The pencil shadings looked more like a child had had a tantrum whilst drawing them than anything else.

However, Lorenzo was analysing my drawing carefully, his brows furrowed, causing me horrendous anxiety.

"Have you been here before?" Lorenzo asked, pointing at the scene in my drawing, my eyes drawn  to the gushing waterfall leading into a deep pool of water. The large oak trees scattered around it lead to a small cavern, the hole looking eerie and chilling.

Just looking at the drawing, I could hear the droplets of water collected on the cavern's stone walls slowly trickling down, eventually landing on the rocky bottom, the sound echoing throughout my head.
My Mother's screams and pleads were faint in the background over the roaring of the rushing waterfall, the sounds so loud and clear from inside my mind.

Lorenzo grumbled to himself as I shook my head. "Why would you draw this if you've never been here before?"

The question was mostly to himself, but I shrugged, chewing on my bottom lip, attempting to push the visions away. Focusing on them and allowing them in made them worse and appear more often. I needed to remain distracted, and keep my guard up, or they would hit me full force.

However, my wolf was now fighting alongside me, taking a lot of the pain, and I needed to allow her to, or it was going to hurt the both of us even more.

I was hoping that I would be able to shift soon, wanting to know what it felt like to run through the forest at tremendous speed without a care in the world, knowing I was able to fight for myself.

"Do you know what this place is?"

I sighed, feeling overwhelmed by Lorenzo's overbearing questions, shaking my head yet again.

I had only drawn what I had seen again and again, the vision so clear and drilled into me that I could so easily paint it without thinking about it- the location of the trees and individual shrubbery easy to place. It was almost second nature.

"This cavern was once residence to a few witches. They claimed the place as their own, and anyone that even came close to it was killed. I'm sure this is the same place you've drawn. The waterfall and everything else looks exactly like it."

I scratched my head as I gazed up at Lorenzo, furrowing my brows. "What does that mean?"

"I don't know," he said, making his way over to me and cupping my cheeks, planting a kiss on the top of my head. "They no longer live there. We drove them out. They were dangerous and out of control."

"Why would I be seeing my Mother being tortured there?" I asked, taking a deep breath, gulping.

"I'm not sure. Nobody ventures out into that area of the woods," said Lorenzo, scratching at his stubble. "Witches like to leave their mark, though. They've done something to that place."

"Can we go and see?"

At my question, Lorenzo's eyes turned pitch black, and he crouched down, hooking a finger under my chin, shaking his head. "No, Mia, definitely not."