Chapter 73

LORENZO

"That's why Heidi wanted Ophelia dead," I muttered to myself, scrunching up my nose. "She called her a general nuisance, but she never actually gave a real reason as to why she wanted her killed. I found it a little strange."

Mia gazed at me, furrowing her brows. "If she knows that we killed her sister, can we actually trust her?"

I shrugged, running my hands through my hair. "I don't know. She helped us though. That's what I'm not getting."

"Maybe she wanted Ophelia dead more than she wanted us dead," Mia suggested, and I shivered at the thought of Heidi wanting to harm us. We didn't need anymore on our plate. If Heidi was going to be angry over her sister's death, there was no reason to blame us. Martina had killed her, yes, but only because she was going to kill Mia. It wouldn't have happened if Ophelia hadn't kidnapped us.

Suddenly, my phone started to vibrate, and I groaned, looking down to see Thomas' name lighting up on my screen. Rolling my eyes, I answered, holding the phone up to my ear.

He was the last person I wanted to speak to.

"Hello?" I spoke coldly, hearing shuffling from the other end of the line.

"Lorenzo, hi," Thomas spoke, clearing his throat. He sounded exhausted. "I think it would be good for you to come over so we can discuss which areas we are both searching. I believe we aren't putting our assets to good use. It might be a good idea for our trackers to start working together. I think our chances of finding Ophelia are a lot higher that way."

I waited a few seconds, Mia looking at me with wide eyes, attempting to listen in to the conversation. It appeared that Heidi hadn't put her plan into action yet. She was most likely waiting for me to give her the money first.

I didn't want anyone to be able to track it though. It wouldn't look good if anyone found out that I had sent a significant amount of money over to a witch who was on the board right before Ophelia's body was found.

It would have to be done in cash.

"Sure Thomas," I spoke, knowing that this conversation was a waste of time. They would find Ophelia soon. "We can organise a meeting, but I'm a bit caught up today with everything. Tomorrow may be better."

Thomas sounded a tad annoyed, but he agreed. "Okay, come round to the hall tomorrow at around eleven."

"See you then," I told him, shoving my phone back into my pocket. I knew I wouldn't be seeing him tomorrow though. This would all be over by then.

Mia grabbed my hand, caressing it gently. "Is everything okay? Are you going to the meeting?"

I shook my head, cupping her cheeks. "Nope, Heidi would have led them to Ophelia by then, and then this will all be over."

"I can't wait," Mia spoke, releasing a non-humorous laugh, shaking her head.

"Then we can actually focus on each other," I told her, pressing my lips to hers gently. I shivered under Mia's touch as she wrapped her arms around the back of my neck, her nails digging into my skin gently. She melted into the kiss, and I hoisted her up into my arms, walking us over to the counter.