Chapter 42

LORENZO

"Mia, are you asleep?" I questioned quietly, knowing that my mate needed as much rest as she could get, however, I was beginning to feel increasingly unwell, my wound taking a toll on me.

I was unsure how long we had been trapped down in the cellar, but Greg had returned to check on my wound, mumbling to himself about how I should be healing and how he had ensured he had given me the correct dosage of silver to keep me alive but stop me from shifting.

He gathered that my wolf was overly distressed and had taken a bit of a back seat, scribbling down his thoughts chaotically on his pad of paper.

I needed water, the toxins floating within my body needing to be flushed out, my throat dry and voice coarse. It sounded as if I had been swallowing glass.

Mia didn't respond to me, and I peered through the darkness to see her leaning up against the wall with her eyes closed and head tilted. My eyes trailed down to her chest to ensure it was rising as normal, indicating that she was breathing.

Although I was aware she was still alive, I couldn't help but panic that she would just suddenly stop breathing, her heart giving out due to all of the stress, the thought making me shake with fear.

Turning my head towards the steps, the sound of pattering footsteps grew in volume, and I groaned, craning my neck in order to see who it was. I was hoping it was somebody with some nourishment for Mia and I.

I could tell that she was also struggling, however, she wanted to remain strong as she knew I was in pain, my side numb but in agony simultaneously, angering me.

I had never felt so weak and helpless, the environment making it much harder for my body to heal, especially since I was sure that Greg had given me too high a dose of silver like the idiot he was.

"Ready to talk now?" groaned Ophelia as she rounded her way down the staircase, her hair now wet and hanging limply by her chin, indicating she had showered. Her body was dressed in different clothing to when we last saw her, making me wonder how long Mia and I had been down here.

Had it been hours? A whole day? I couldn't tell.

"About what?" I asked, shaking my head.

I was unsure what Ophelia could actually want to speak to either Mia or I about. She wanted to use Mia to hurt me as revenge for Martina's mistake, and now she had her captured, she could do what she wanted to her to harm me.

Mia shuffled, opening up her eyes, and out of habit, she brought her fists to her face to rub at her eyes, something she did every morning. However, a frown made its way up onto her face once she remembered that she was chained and wasn't able to do so.

"Do you know how long I'm going to keep you alive, Lorenzo?" Ophelia grumbled, offering me a cocky smile and I snarled at her, flinching as my side began to pulsate even more. "As long as Mia is alive and suffering, you will be too."

"I told you before Ophelia, Martina made that deal with you, not me," I growled, and Ophelia scoffed at me.

"I don't care about who made the deal," she grumbled, scowling at me. "The deal was made, and you should have kept your idiotic sister on a leash."