Chapter 20

LORENZO

I cringed as the image of lapping tongues of flames filled my mind, becoming momentarily blind as the familiar smell of smoke burned my nostrils, causing me to grimace.

For an entire hour, I had watched the lab that once held my mate captive burn to a crisp, Lily eventually leaving to head home, allowing me to wallow. I had stayed until it was unrecognisable, the thought of it once being a sturdy standing building seeming shocking. All that remained now was a pile of ashes.

The memory of that building had to die, along with the scientists that harmed my mate. However, I didn't want to go home and face Mia, having to tell her that there was a chance that her captors were still alive and out there somewhere.

I wanted her to know I could protect her, but the thought of her being worried pained me, my wolf distressed from within me.

"Hello? Earth to Lorenzo?"

I blinked, taking in a deep breath, allowing the memory to dissipate into the back of my mind, focusing on Caspian and Lily in front of me, who were sat opposite me in my office.

"Sorry, what were you saying Caspian?" I replied, taking my glasses off and rubbing my eyes furiously, aggravated.

"I was talking about the body count that was done after everyone was rescued from the lab," Caspian replied, tapping away on his laptop, bringing up his notes. "There were twelve human bodies recovered."

"That's not right," interjected Lily, shaking her head. "Fourteen people worked there, including me."

"That's one body unaccounted for," I muttered, my voice harsh.

"Did you catch any scents when you revisited yesterday?" asked Caspian, sighing as Lily and I both shook our heads.

"The chemicals they had in there were too strong. It was impossible to smell anything other than them."

I growled, my fists balled. "Can we find out who this missing lab worker is? Where are the bodies?"

"They were all burned the day of the rescue," Caspian replied.

"Fuck," I growled. "Right, there isn't a whole lot we can do. We have to just hope that they've taken the research for themselves, but I highly doubt it. Mia doesn't need to know about this yet. It's too much for her."

Lily sighed, cursing under her breath. "What if they set up another lab and conduct the same experiments as before?"

"Then we do what we did before, except next time, we make sure we finish the job properly," I ordered, pushing my seat away from my desk, the rusted wheels scraping against the wooden floor, filling the room with a harsh sound.

"Oh, I almost forgot," said Caspian, causing me to turn as I leaned against my wooden office door, raising a brow at him. "Martina has been calling trying to get hold of you. She wasn't best pleased after I escorted her off the territory."

I hummed in response, my interest in my sister belittling by the day, still furious at her after what she put Mia through.

It was inexcusable.