Chapter 38

MIA

"Caspian, you son of a bitch! What are you doing?" yelled Martina from the floor, writhing in pain, dragging herself across the muddy ground covered in crispy auburn coloured leaves. Ophelia stalked towards her, placing her boot on top of Martina's head, kicking her back harshly, causing her to curse.

Caspian's face was as pale as a ghost, and I took a step back from him, my hands shaking.

What had he done?

"Caspian, where's Lorenzo?" I asked him, my bottom lip wobbling. "If he's stepped over the boundary to the cavern, I need to see him. Please."

"He hasn't stepped over it, Mia," Caspian gulped, running his hands through his hair and keeping his eyes glued to the ground, refusing to look at me, guilt evident in his body language.

"Then where is he?" I pressed, becoming angry, my eyes teary and face red.

Ophelia gave Caspian a knowing look, a small smile plastered on her face, causing me to growl.

"What are you smiling about?" I spat, spinning around, baring my teeth. "Where is Lorenzo?"

Ophelia pretended to recoil back, mocking me, chuckling to herself, moving towards me swiftly. Her feet carried her gracefully across the dirt, closing the gap between us in a split second, getting a little too close for comfort. "Let's get one thing straight here. I'm not intimidated by you."

"Ophelia, don't," Caspian warned, glaring at her, shaking his head.

"Caspian, it is in your best interest to remain quiet. You wouldn't want me to revoke our little deal would you? Because that can be easily done if you don't hold up your end of the bargain."

Deal? What deal?

"What is she talking about?" I demanded from Caspian, turning to him and pushing his chest, watching as he remained in place, not even budging. His body was tense and rock solid, my hands shaking.

I trusted him. Lorenzo trusted him. We all did.

"I'm sorry," Caspian muttered, his jaw tensing and untensing as he gritted his teeth, his eyes wandering over to a still groaning Martina, who was cursing and yelling. She was trying her very best to fight the agonising pain Ophelia was inflicting on her, but failing miserably, her mouth hanging open with shock as she stared at Caspian.

"Are you going to come with me willingly?" Ophelia asked, gripping my wrist, my heart hammering against my ribs. "Or am I going to have to do the same to you?"

I studied Martina's form, her body jolting and muscles spasming as they tried to fight against the agony. I would have no chance fighting against Ophelia if I was in that state and I needed to find Lorenzo.

I was terrified of the red headed lady standing before me, but I had learned that showing fear wasn't going to get me anywhere. I had to be strong, even if it was all just an act.

"Caspian!" I growled, glaring at him. "Tell me where Lorenzo is now!"

Caspian had admitted that Lorenzo hadn't stepped over the boundary line, which was a massive relief. However, I still didn't know where he was, and the fact that nobody was answering me was indicating that I wasn't going to like the answer I received.

"You'll see him soon enough, darling," Ophelia said, grabbing my hand, her skin cold and icy, and I snatched it away, hearing Caspian sigh from behind me.

I turned to him with pleading eyes, begging for him to help me as Ophelia squeezed my hand yet again, a searing pain working its way up my arm.

It felt as if  I was being burned alive, the tiny pricks of heat beginning to spark, turning toxic within seconds, my veins being laced with heat.