Chapter 37

MIA

My mind was blank as I stared at Caspian's panting form, his eyes wide as he rushed over to me, grabbing my hand that was clutching onto the chopping knife, setting it down on the counter.

"Mia, did you hear me?" Caspian asked quickly, gazing into my fear stricken eyes. "Lorenzo is in trouble."

My thoughts were racing, running a mile a minute, but all I could think about was how much Lorenzo had stressed to me not to step over the boundary line when I had visited with him. Any wolf that did was cursed, and they all ended up going crazy until they took their own lives.

Tears welled up in my eyes at the thought of Lorenzo leaving me. Caspian's words were going in one ear and out the other and although he was speaking perfect English, his words weren't making any sense as he blabbered on about what had happened.

"I ran here as fast as I could," Caspian continued to pant. "He thought he spotted Ophelia and went over the line while chasing her. He wants to see you before he gets too...you know."

Caspian didn't finish his sentence, but he didn't need to. I knew that Lorenzo wouldn't want me anywhere near him if he was a danger to me, and although I was certain he wouldn't hurt me, Lorenzo wouldn't trust himself. He wouldn't want to risk it.

Nausea wavered through me, and I felt as if I was going to be sick with anxiety. My head pounded, and my vision became slightly blurry, the adrenaline pumping through my veins.

I quickly followed Caspian out of the house, slipping on my shoes, not even bothering to lace them up, pulling my hair into a messy ponytail so it was out of my face in case things got messy.

"He's freaking out, but we thought having you there would calm him down," Caspian continued as he ushered me to get into the passenger side of his car, knowing that I still hadn't tried shifting, and attempting now wouldn't help anyone.

It would most likely take a while and be extremely painful, and I wasn't sure I would have complete control. It was better to be safe than sorry.

"Is Ophelia still there?" I questioned, fearful to see her in case she struck, but I wasn't going to object to coming with Caspian. I needed to see my mate, especially if he was now cursed.

If she was still there, I was sure I could strike some kind of deal with her. If she wanted me, she could have me, as long as she lifted the curse from Lorenzo. However, I wasn't going to tell Caspian that. I knew he would lock me away if he realised I was planning on giving myself up.

I couldn't live without Lorenzo. He was my everything, and the thought of life without him caused my heart to beat erratically against my chest.

I felt like I was going to have a heart attack.

I wanted to rip Ophelia's throat out for what she had done to my mother, but, I knew she would never agree to save Lorenzo if I harmed her. I had to be on my best behaviour. Avenging my mother's death could wait.

Caspian shook his head, his jaw tense. "Do you seriously think I would allow you to come if I thought Ophelia was there? Neither Martina nor I could smell her, so I think Lorenzo was mistaken."

I shook as I fiddled with my hands in my lap, silent tears streaming down my face. I couldn't believe Lorenzo had done this.

He was always so careful around the boundary line. Even if he was chasing Ophelia, it wasn't like him to be careless and make mistakes.