Chapter 77- Bonus Chapter

MIA

"Breakfast?" questioned Lorenzo as he poured himself a cup of coffee, offering me one as well.

I rubbed my eyes, having just woken up from one of the worst nights sleep I had ever had since being here. I had barely slept a wink.

"No to the coffee," I told him, yawning. "But yes please to breakfast."

My mate chuckled, moving over to me to press a gentle kiss to the side of my head, shuffling past me to continue stirring the food on the stove. I couldn't tell what was in the pot, but it smelt incredible, the sweet scent hitting me in the face and wafting up my nostrils. I was salivating.

"Here," Lorenzo said, passing me a large bowl, fulling it to the brim with what appeared to be porridge, drizzling honey on top for me. "You need a big portion to give you enough energy for today."

He was right, but the amount of food in front of me looked daunting, and I thanked Lorenzo, seating myself on a stool. "How many other people did you say were participating in it?"

"Just two others," Lorenzo informed me, sitting beside me with his own mountain of porridge.

I was extremely nervous for later. Another initiation test was going ahead, and I had put myself in for it. Nobody had been told however, besides our close friends. Lorenzo wanted to make sure I had the option of backing out last minute if I decided I wasn't ready. I wasn't going to do that though. I had made that very clear to him. This was something I wanted to do.

I had been training extremely hard, Lily helping me out most days. We sparred, but in human form since I still wasn't able to shift. I was unsure whether it was something to do with the years of being exposed to silver, or if I had some sort of mental block, but it didn't matter how hard I tried. I couldn't shift.

I had accepted it though.

I could feel my wolf. She was in the back of my head, helping me process my emotions, but, she felt like an extension of myself rather than a different being. I wasn't sure if that was what everyone experienced with their wolves, but I was happy with not feeling like somebody was inside of me trying to control my actions. I had heard that that was how a few people had described it.

"Do you think people will be unhappy that I'm going to be doing the sparring portion of the test in human form?" I asked, swallowing down the piping hot porridge. It burned my mouth, and Lorenzo scowled at me, handing me a glass full of water which I quickly chugged down.

"Of course not," he responded, shaking his head. "They know that you aren't able to shift, and they won't expect you to fight against a wolf. That would be unfair."

I sighed, pursing my lips. I knew that if I was anyone else, I wouldn't have even been given a chance to participate in the initiation test after admitting I couldn't shift. It was only because I was Lorenzo's mate that I was being allowed to stay.

But, everyone here was accepting of me, and very kind and understanding. The children sometimes asked me about why I couldn't shift, and I believed that they found it comforting knowing an adult who couldn't turn much like them. It gave them something to relate to.

Finishing up our food, I cleared our bowls, popping them into the dishwasher quickly. Lorenzo watched me from the kitchen island, his large arms splayed out on the counter as he clasped his hands together, cocking his head.