Chapter 49

LORENZO

I sighed heavily, glancing at my peaceful mate, gulping.

I didn't want to leave her side, but this was the first time I was being asked to for a serious reason.

"Can't someone else deal with it?" I questioned, narrowing my eyes at the guard, shrugging. "Is it really that important?"

The guard swallowed, looking rather nervous, but, he eventually nodded his head. "You really need to see this, Alpha."

I got up from my chair, my legs feeling a little wobbly as I took a second to re-gain my balance. I was still weak, although, the doctors had been giving me drips, insisting I needed to remain well rested and eat and drink plenty.

My chains scraped across the ground as I walked, causing me to grimace, and I made my way over to the door, giving Mia one last once over, making sure she was still in the same position she was a couple of seconds prior.

"Martina, get a doctor in here to wait with you while I'm gone," I told her, and she narrowed her eyes at me before sighing, leaving the room.

I couldn't help but still feel a little uneasy leaving Mia alone with my sister. I knew that she was regretful of her actions, and had helped save my mate's life, but there was still a little part of me that wanted Martina supervised when around Mia.

I tapped my foot against the ground as the guard stood back, allowing room for a doctor to make her way into Mia's room, giving me a quick smile, insisting that Mia would be absolutely fine with me gone.

"I won't be long," I told Martina, giving her one last look before following the guard out of the room, forcing myself to remain focused on what I had been requested for.

Mia would be okay without me for ten minutes.

She wasn't going to wake up while I was gone, surely?

"So what's going on?" I questioned the guard as he led me out of the hospital, causing him to crane his neck so he could take a quick look at me, his face glum.

I could tell that he was dishevelled over what I was about to face, but, it was frustrating me that he couldn't come out and say it.

I needed to prepare.

"Spit it out," I snapped at him, my temper fluctuating recently. I was always on edge, agitated with anyone for even breathing too loudly.

I just wanted peace and quiet until Mia awoke.

"It's Caspian, Alpha," the guard muttered, and I ran my tongue along the front of my teeth, clicking my tongue, rage coursing through my veins.

I couldn't believe it.

Caspian had betrayed us, leading my mate to her near-death. Mia had told me all about it, informing me of how he had lied about me stepping over the boundary line, using Mia's worry for me to drag her out into the woods where he could hand her over to Ophelia.

I had been ambushed prior, Ophelia taking me by surprise and using her dark magic on me. The pain was excruciating, but, I was still able to fight, giving her a run for her money.