Chapter 66

MIA

Nobody said a word, all of us in complete shock at Lorenzo's statement, and I heard Martina release a low breath from behind me. I craned my neck to take a look at both her and Lily, their eyes wide as they looked at each other, their mouths parted slightly.

Lorenzo's jaw tensed as he ground his teeth together, the sound of his canines scraping against one another filling the car, making me cringe.

"Do you know where you're going?" I asked quietly, wanting to fill the silence. I still needed to process the fact that Lorenzo had played the witches and had got Ophelia out of their on purpose. I really hadn't suspected it.

Lorenzo hummed in response, seeming utterly on edge. I could tell he wasn't going to celebrate over our small win yet until Ophelia was dead. Things could still go wrong, and if the witches found out what he had done, a full blown war could break out.

He sped up the car, flying down the road as all of us were pushed into our seats, Lily turning to look behind us to check if anyone was following.

There was nobody there, but I couldn't help but feel paranoid that they were stalking us somehow.

"Thomas said they would be investigating," I stated, picking at my lip. "Do you think he will piece together that you planned this?"

Lorenzo shrugged, eventually shaking his head. "I don't think so, unless they speak to Caspian and he turns against us again, but even then, they won't have any proof."

Martina chuckled unironically from the back, and I noticed how Lorenzo glared at her from his rear-view mirror, narrowing his eyes.

"What did you have to promise him to make him agree to this?" she  asked, stiff in her seat.

"I didn't have to say much. He was angry at her for lying about what she could do for him, and he jumped at the chance to get revenge."

"What's going to happen after Ophelia is dead? You aren't going to let him back into the pack, are you? We can't trust him again, Lorenzo," Lily spoke, seeming panicked. She had a say in this, being the Beta of the pack, and it appeared that she was worried Lorenzo was going to forget everything Caspian had done to us and allow him to return.

My mate shook his head, grumbling to himself in Italian. "No, I can't just forgive him for his betrayal, but, I agreed to let him live. He isn't welcome back into the pack though and he knows that."

I knew that Lorenzo understood why Caspian had done what he had to some degree. Mates meant everything to a wolf, and the thought of having the love of his life back was enough to convince Caspian to do anything, but, he shouldn't have so easily trusted a witch that played with dark magic.

I also understood Caspian's motives though, but, it didn't excuse what he had done. The pack should have come first.

"What are you going to do to her?" I questioned, feeling anxious. I hated Ophelia as much as the next person, but imagining her body going limp and her head getting torn off was enough to almost make me gag. I never was one for violence.

"I'd prefer to kill her slowly and painfully, but I don't really have time for that. The witches will be out searching for her and Caspian," Lorenzo responded.

"Well what if they catch Caspian?" Martina asked, crossing her arms across her chest. "Does he know that if he gets caught he could go to prison?"

Lorenzo nodded, releasing a sigh, turning the corner sharply, and I had to grab onto the door handle to keep myself steady. "I mentioned that to him, but none of the witches actually know what he looks like, so that will work in his favour. If the witches come and interview us to ask for any photos of him, we will claim we have none. I don't want to lie to Caspian the way he did to me. I've struck a deal with him and I intend to stick to the terms of it."