Chapter-28

Chapter-28

Annabelle Piccolo's POV

"Thank you." I say as I get out of the car. Lucas is holding the door for me. Once I am out, he closes the door and sighs. It's night time now and everyone left for home. Papa is still in the hospital. Since we can't visit him today we all decided to go to the hospital early morning tomorrow. Lucas offered to drop me home. My mind is fogged with all the thoughts.

I can't stop thinking about what Felisa said. Lucas has been patient and let me try to sort my thoughts out. He held my hand throughout the whole ride and kept kissing my hand to keep me anchored. I pull put the keys from my bag and climb up the two steps to the front door. He follows me behind. My heart is racing as I think of what to do.

I just can't bring myself to break up with him. Not when we have just conquered all our fears... all my fears. He has been supportive and patient standing by my side. I can't just do it. I pull out the key from my bag and my hands are shaking. The fact that if I don't break up with him, Felisa might do something to harm him is eating me. I pull out the key and try to insert the key in the hole.

The air around me suddenly feels cold. Tears pool my eyes and I try to blink them away. A warm hand covers mine and I feel him behind me. His closeness brings warmth. He guides my hand to the hole and unlocks the door. He pushes the door and it creaks open. I feel like I might break down any second now. I bite my lip to hold myself.

Raining starts dribbling. I am suddenly lifted off my feet and carried inside. He switches on the lights and kicks the door close. He sits in the living room sofa and settles me in his lap and adjusts me so that I fit perfectly. Once I am settled, he meets my eyes. His hands are around my waist.

"Tell me what's bothering you?" He asks and I want to just cry in his arms. Instead I just look away. He puts his finger under my chin and makes me look at him. "Tell me." I sigh and put my head on his chest. He soothes me.

Come on, Anna! You are not supposed to get closer to him! You are supposed to break up with him!

My mind runs different scenarios on how to tell him, what happens if I tell him and I know how he will not accept it. I get off his lap and he frowns at me.

"I need to use the washroom." I say and run to the washroom. I am sure he sat there dumbfounded. I never behaved that way around him. It's always us all over each other. We are always open to each other. Our eyes speaking, our hearts listening and our thoughts syncing. I am about to turn around to leave, but he stops me by holding my wrist. I turn to meet his eyes.

Angel. His eyes are calling me. I don't reply.

"I will be back in a minute." I get my hand out of his hold. My heart aches. I got to the washroom and close the door before leaning against it. Tears fall freely and I bite my lip to not make any sounds. The rain outside intensifies and I am thankful for it as I let out a small sob so he couldn't hear me.

I go to the mirror and look at myself. I look tired, exhausted and beaten. My eyes are red and my face has turned a bright pink as I try to suppress my sobs. Tears keep falling. The ache in my heart is growing. It takes over my body and I feel this heavy... heaviness in my throat as I pent up all the emotions. I should control them. He can't hear me. If he does, he will not leave.

I wait for a few minutes in the washroom, calm myself down and then wash my face with cold water. Once I am done, I dry my face and unlock the door to go out. Switching off the light in the washroom, I turn around to find Lucas. He is leaning against my desk with his legs crossed and his hand under his chin and a finger near his lips. He has removed his coat and his sleeves are folded up to his elbows.