Chapter One | Angel

Welcome!

Thank you for choosing to read Shifted
Just a few things before you continue!
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED, this book is mine, not yours! Please do not commit copyright, it's just not the move. This book may not be transmitted by any form or means without permission from the author!

This book is a work of fiction. The characters, names, and incidents are all imaginations of the author or actual things that happened (obviously majority is fiction). Anything in resemblance to parts of this book is entirely pure coincidence or reference.

Also, chapter 1 is slightly long! But not all chapters are like this!

Remember to VOTE!

Enjoy!

———————————

Conscience. A word that has followed me throughout the years. The reminder to feel guilty or even like a human at points. If you've done something wrong and it eats at you or if you've thought things through and find yourself needing to be honest.

But my conscience wasn't normal. It had a mind and morals of its own and as I landed myself in trickier situations at times, it seemed to cost me. I had a thing with being impulsive, doing instead of thinking.

But at this moment, as my boss Mr.Reign stares at me through the glass of my office looking as if he could make it shatter. I couldn't remember a thing I had done wrong. He stood cherry-red in rage as he was speaking with Lucas, my colleague. Who seemed to enjoy whatever was being said about me. I was not afraid of my boss, he was never intimidating to me or so I thought.

But right now as he looked ready to rip me a new one, I felt nervous. Even worse, I had to leave in about thirty minutes. But by the looks of it, my departure would be a little later than I expected.

Spinning in my chair I face the view of Boston behind me as people scattered in the streets looking like ants. I found it funny but terrifying at the same time, how small we truly were from a view. It was weird being up this high and viewing over Back Bay, a place I once dreamed of and now look over.

The noise of a throat clearing startles me and as I turned back to see Mr.Reign, he seemed less irritable than moments ago.

"Mr.Reign, this is a surprise, how may I help you?" A file is dropped on my desk and by the bolding of the name 'Cortez' on the side I could tell it was an important case. Something I'd been waiting months for.

"I have a family issue to tend to and I'll be out for a few days to a week. I have to go fly out to London to patch up some things. Can I trust you to keep everything in check? You're my right-hand man Taylor."

The grounding pit in my stomach disappeared and was filled with satisfaction. I was waiting for the offer to become a junior associate. I hadn't been cutting any corners or skipping out on attention to detail. I noticed that Mr.Reign likes those who put in the extra work and stay later. Though it wasn't always an easy task I'd been keeping up.