Chapter 20 | Family Reunion

I close my laptop collecting the files into my briefcase and as I see his shadow in my door I look up "You shouldn't be here today you know? I almost took the day off for you"

Lucas was in a black suit sharing a despaired look on his face "I have to mourn the only person who's ever fully cared about me, with people who didn't today. So I needed to come in this morning Lucas, just to take the edge off" I didn't like the reality of things.

I think accepting her death is something I'm struggling to come to. Because I knew once I got in that car waiting downstairs for me, everything would become real. I'd never get to see Grandma again, I know it's not her.

It's just her body, not her soul.

But I'd never see it again, I'd never be held by her again. Told a story or have her shoulder to lean on. Her haunting words echoed in my mind since she last spoke them "tell him"

"We have to get going Hope" Lucas offers me his hand and I gratefully accept it wrapping my arm around his for support.

I'm met by Bella and Reed at the bottom floor. Joely is still confused, she doesn't understand fully where grandma went and why.

Bella held a dress and a change of shoes for me to go change into. So I go to the bathroom to change.

After a few minutes a knock at the door comes "It's Bella" I unlock it and she steps in. I hand her my other clothes and straighten out my dress

"I don't want to go" I admit

"You planned the whole thing, she'd want you to be there. Be strong, who cares about your relatives. You are there for MaryEllen, not them" I was more so afraid of the executor coming to distribute assets, and them to learn it's just for me.

"I know" her arm wrapped itself around mine and we exited the bathroom.

"My mom is bringing Joely. I figured you needed some time to collect yourself" I lean against her, the liquid leaks from my eyes and I feel empty. Reed takes me from Bella and presses me to his chest, he never got to meet Grandma.

"Let's go Hope" he whispers kindly. We exit out to the sidewalks of Boston to be greeted by a town car that would take us to the church.

When we arrived I felt sick, nauseous even. Crowds of people stood outside of the church, and then I spotted them. At the front of the church stood my parents and Taryn. They couldn't get into the church, because they didn't plan the venue.

I watch from a distance as they fight with the funeral coordinator. A line of people traveled down the road, friends of hers, mine. Anyone and everyone who knew her. I felt their eyes on me as I walked, Maria stood at the bottom of the church steps in line. Joely by her feet and Theo standing beside her with Kendall just a few feet away.