Chapter 29 | Guardian Angel

My heart thumps with each step

My heart thumps with each step. Sirens could still be heard, the place was in lockdown. I had to kill him, even if it meant never seeing my daughter again.

I needed to protect her, I didn't know what this man was capable of. But I knew he'd come for me, my child, and my family.

I'm still in shockwaves, this entire time it was Theo. I always imagined who was behind the mask, curiosity consumed me. But he was with me all the time. The man behind my mask was the one behind my unhealed heart.

I always wondered if the attraction to Amartolós was just lust. That I'd eventually move on from Theo and find someone new. So my hope for Reed was high, but the spark I still held for him. The one that left me impatient for more. The one that consumed my thoughts, echoing his name. During my sleepless nights and in my dreams, it was like he controlled a part of my mind that I tried to drown out.

And over time I did it, but he'd slip through the cracks of my mind. If Joely made a certain face that looked like him I found myself in his sweatshirt. When certain songs would play, or if Grandma mentioned a memory tuning out the fact that he was there.

I lay flat against a wall, and as I stared at my stomach, I knew there was only so much time. I already felt a queasiness sweep over me, but determination kept me driven.

I could hear a clock ticking in the distance. It was one of those creepy old ones that you'd see in a horror movie, that at twelve the killer would be around. But in this case, the horror was my death but the killer was me.

"God damn it! Where is he!" Eros's voice echoed through the halls in between the alarms.

"A woman came sir"

"A woman?" Silence is heard, and then the smashing of something follows. He was in an operations room behind the wall I laid against.

The lights around me flickered, I didn't know if it was the lights or the loss of blood leaving my eyes in a blur. I stuff my shirt into my mouth and rip off a piece tightening it around the wound.

"We have to go, get the patrols"

It was now, or it was never.

Two guards patrol past me and from behind I slit their throats and watch them collapse to the floor.

My finger laid steady on the trigger and I found myself in the room. Taking in the final seconds of my life, I felt adrenaline.

The dagger went right into the back of the first guard next and a bullet into the others. Behind me, I close the doors locking them.

"We didn't get a proper introduction" I wipe the blood falling from my nose and look at him, a wide-spread grin across his face.

"Look at you princess, what a hot mess" He gestures to the wound in my torso "Come on, I can get you medical attention. We don't have to do this?" He offers.