Chapter 23 | 011 and 023

I heard the sound of footsteps, signaling he was here

I heard the sound of footsteps, signaling he was here. He thinks he's sneaking up on me as I have yet to let him know I've recognized his presence.

But just as I watch the shadow of his hand reach for my shoulder, I speak before it can touch me.

"You know you are terrible at sneaking up on someone?" I watch as his hand stops short.

"That wasn't the goal" He walks around to face me "You requested my presence through Isaac?"

"You're really going to make me say it again?" He stands patiently waiting for the words to leave my mouth "Fine I needed your help! Not with the killing but the rescue mission okay?" He raises his hands.

"Enzo Petrova's my target?  This should be-"

"My target, Enzo Petrova is my target. I was hired for this job for a reason, you will be helping retrieve his wife and daughter, unharmed may I remind you" he leans against the red bricks huffing out air.

"Let's hope they're not already dead" The thought of Isaacs's family being dead twists my stomach. Though I don't know him, I couldn't even imagine that pain.

"Don't say that, losing your child let alone your wife is the worst pain I could ever even imagine" I removed the safety from my gun and began to move in on the location.

It was an old run-down house West of the Seaport. Guard after guard could be seen, but most of them were distracted. Two of them were sitting down playing a game of cards seemingly bored.

So when the knife stabbed right into one of their skulls. It was a wake-up call to the guy next to him, before he could scream a dagger collided with his skull.

"I get Enzo, you get the girls okay?" Amartolós looked at me not convinced, he didn't seem okay with the plans.

"I'm running this mission, don't doubt my instincts just do as I say" he salutes me and turns away.

I find myself squeezing in between a thin wall and as I poke my head to the other side I find what I was looking for. Enzo Petrova sat center stage of a card game, men circled a table.

The mixed scent of cigars and weed fills my nose. A dice is rolled and I watch as Enzo continuously wins, as if he was cheating somehow. But I knew for sure, that death wasn't something he'd be cheating today.

I hear a gun click behind me and turn to see a guard aiming at me. I raise my hands in surrender and get to my knees, but before he can yell I go straight for his pocket knife.

I carved the knife into his neck allowing him to fall back to the floor. I watch as the blood trickles out of his neck as he struggles to breathe. But when I turn back around, I'm left with a sight I wish I could unsee.

All the men's eyes are drawn to me. No woman besides me was present in the area, and in this situation, I knew already that was a bad sign.

"Got room for an extra?" Guns make their way into the air aimed at my face.