Chapter 26 | This is Goodbye?

I hand her purple butterfly backpack to her as she rushes through the doors

I hand her purple butterfly backpack to her as she rushes through the doors. Each morning it's like this. At first, she hated the thought of leaving her mommy all day.

But then when we finally arrived at daycare. She can't wait to be with her friends. I follow behind her as her room teacher waits for all the children on the carpet for morning storytime.

I walk over to her little cubby and hang up her red raincoat. As I look up, I meet her eyes after two months. Zoe goes over to the carpet as the swarm of parents places their children's items away.

Behind her is her husband, Isaac. He was actually here with Maya in person. I wasn't the only one to notice. But then the unexpected happened, Maya approached me.

"God you were smart today, I totally forgot Zoe's raincoat and by the time we were in the car... we were gonna be late" She started a simple conversation with me.

"Oh Joely grabbed her coat for me this morning, she's the real mom in the mornings" she laughs and as I look at Isaac his face is glued to his phone. As if I don't even exist.

"Maya is this your husband" I was fueling a fire I might not have wanted. But curiosity lingered in him "I've never met Zoe's Dad" I smiled at him. He glances up at me confused as to why I'd be talking to him. But as I offered him my hand he seemed almost disgusted.

"Where's Joely's father?" He questioned.

"Somewhere in the Bermuda Triangle?" I shrug and that makes him look up at me fully. He offers his hand to me and I shake it.

"Isaac Madden" immediately a fake last name is used.

"Any relation to Steve?" He didn't find me funny, not even a lift of his lips. He stood silent and I looked at Maya.

"So you two have different last names?" Isaac looks up from his phone again and looks at Maya, almost angry as if it was her fault.

"Madden was his mother's name, it's not easy to give away his last name" She glared back at him as I awkwardly stood in front of the two of them.

"Isaac Wolfe" He corrects himself, "What are you a detective Hope?" I shrug with an innocent smile.

"No, I'm just a curious woman?" I leave them behind as I exit the daycare. As I approach my car I see his frame in the shadow.

"What do I owe the pleasure, Mr.Wolfe?" I turn to face him and as I look down. I see a gun aimed at my stomach.

"I don't know what type of game you're playing at. I'll kill you and your child, now tell me. What do you want from my family" I don't feel fear, I feel stuck. He wouldn't kill me, and even if he did. Maya would kill him for it, for who he killed.

"Isaac, I'm not one of the bad guys" He moved his gun closer to me, and then I felt the cold metal rim touch my skin.

"I can make your death look like an accident, in fact, I can clean you right up. Pay off every bystander and make it look like you ran away. Leaving behind your child, everyone who gives a damn about your small little life, I can ruin it, I can take it" A smile grows across his face, an ugly one at that.