Chapter 17

Rayna's POV

"I will not hide anymore. I have dealt with Cain's crap for far too long. Now, he has pissed me off coming to a place he has no business," I say as I climb out of Conner's car. "What in the hell are you doing here, Cain? I don't want to see or talk to you."

"Well, you are going to talk to me. You are coming with me." Cain says as he reaches for me. "You have made my life hell."

"No, you bastard, don't touch me; you have done that enough over the years. I told you all that if you came looking for me, I would call the police. I want nothing to do with you. You and Joan have done more than enough damage to me. If you had stayed away from me, I wouldn't have even thought of telling the police what you did to me. Now here we are. I am sick of you thinking that you still can control me. The police will be here riiiiggghtttt about; now," I say, pointing at the police officers who are walking toward us.

"You bitch. You will pay for this, you fucking whore!" Cain yells.

Cain pushes me out of his way and takes off, running to the woods surrounding the school. I stumble and fall when Conner catches me. I steady myself as the police draw near; a handful of police officers follow Cain. A few stopped and talked to me, Ryan, and Conner.

"Was he here when you pulled into the parking lot?" a red-haired officer asked.

"Yes, he was. He was standing over there by the steps," I tell him. I look in the direction that Cain ran off in, "Your guys will catch him, right?"

"I sure hope so, but I need to get statements from you three."

"Alright, but can this be quick? I have a meeting in about 25 minutes with Mr. Heights. It is important to me."

"Yes, I will get your statement first. Then I will get theirs," the officer says with a smile.

"I will be traveling back to Idaho in a couple of days. I will be testifying against the guy who raped me. That is why I think we need to get Cain off the street. I don't want to be looking over my shoulder the whole time I am away," I said to the officer.

"Well, we are doing everything in our power to catch him. Please fill this out. Then you can go to your meeting. I suggest you have someone pick you up after the meeting so you aren't alone until we get Cain in our custody."

"I will be here waiting for her. There is no way in hell she will be left alone," dad says to the officer.

"She will be with either me or Ryan. Cain won't be getting her alone."

I wrote my statement and was walked to the school's office by an officer. Once there, he told Mr. Heights about the incident in the parking lot and made sure that I wasn't left alone.

"I will make sure that I walk with her to the car to meet her ride, officer," Mr. Heights says.

***

Mr. Heights and I went through the survey questions for the next couple of hours. We sorted them and counted them. Once we finished, I looked at Mr. Heights, "Now, do you see why I think having a group like I want to start here is important? The guys in this school keep doing what they are doing because they get away with it. All the girls think they are alone. The assembly will not fix this; all the girls coming forward will," I said, looking him straight in the eye.

"Yes, I see it now. I can't believe this is all happening at our school. I will be looking for a counselor specializing in sexual assault and have her contact you. Then after the assembly, we will set up a meeting place. I am glad that you have helped me see what is going on in this school. Thank you, Rayna. You are a strong and caring person. Now let's get you out to your ride," Mr. Heights says.