Chapter 28

Rayna's POV

After the meeting with Martha, we all head to a small diner to eat a meal and head back to the hotel. "Rayna, Friday, Cain goes to court for all of his charges except for the murder for hire. You won't need to testify because they have Cain on record talking to others admitting to everything he did to you and Beau."

"Good, but I want to see him and Joan get what they have coming to them. Are you going to be with me at the trial?"

"Of course, Rayna, I was planning to attend it, anyway; I want to make sure the man gets what he deserves. He needs to pay. Child Protective Services has a lot of explaining to do as well. I am trying to get the agency investigated. Since they failed you and Beau for years, they should have done more investigations before not checking up on you after talking to Cain and Joan," Dad says.

"Good, now let's change subjects. Tomorrow Martha will have the police and detectives at the school tell my story to the students. I am going to tell them everything that I shared at my school. Conner, I want you also to repeat what you said last time. But can you add that sexual abuse can happen; a parent, family, friends of the family, and even peers can all be the cause?"

"I sure will, Kitten," he says to me, then turns to dad and says, "When will you be going home?"

"Not until I make sure that this issue with Cain gets settled. I want to make sure that he isn't scheming up a way to get off," dad says.

"Dad, did you find out anything I should be worried about regarding the murder-for-hire thing?"

"Princess, if there were, I would have already told you and Conner," dad says as he gives me a reassuring smile.

After we finished eating, we drove around town. I took my parents and Conner to my old neighborhood. "I used to live here. Cain and Joan wouldn't let me go anywhere, so I spent a lot of my time here," I say as we drove past. "I lived there my whole life but don't miss it. It never felt like a home to me, but now I know why."

"If one feels no love in one house but does in another, the place you feel loved becomes your home while the other has no meaning," mom says as she smiles at me.

"I have never heard more valid words spoken, mom; I love you and dad more than you will ever know. You both took a broken girl and mended her heart and soul. You have taught me how to love and believe in myself. Which allowed me to open my heart to this wonderful man," I say, looking at Conner, adding, "I am pleased with the way things have gone since I left Idaho behind. Yes, things weren't always great or easy, but I have found a real family that loves my son and me."

"And we always will, Princess."

"Rayna has an early day tomorrow; let's get back to the hotel and get some sleep," mom says.

"Mom and dad, why don't you guys come and hear me speak tomorrow? I can have William with me and show the kids, my baby. It will show the students that what they may not believe will happen to them can indeed occur."

"We will be there, princess." dad says. "Now, let's get back to the hotel—Conner, after we get back to the hotel, I need to talk to you."

After we returned to the hotel, mom and I talked in my room. She wanted to know if I was confident about handling this assembly. My response was to tell her these people couldn't do or say anything I hadn't heard or experienced before; I even told her what my speech would be, remembering my stay in this town before leaving with my pregnancy secret. The day I found out I was pregnant was a day from hell at school.

I was walking to class when Kelly Daggly came up to me. "Rayna, you look like shit. Are you out whoring around all night and not sleeping? Oh wait, there isn't any man alive who would want to have sex with you willingly. So, you must be paying for it. Why don't you tell me about it?"