Chapter 27

Conner's POV

I sat in the meeting with Rayna, listening to the details of what Joan and Cain wanted to do to Rayna. My blood was boiling. It has been a while since I have been this pissed. I didn't want Rayna to see how mad I was, so I focused on remaining calm.

"Kitten, let's go to the hotel and rest a little. It's been a long day. You need time to relax and digest everything you just heard. You can have your parents call once they get here."

"Ok, I will text them once we get back to our room. Martha, thanks for filling me in. Please keep me updated on what is happening in Joan's and Cain's cases. Beau, I love you and will see you at dinner," she says, standing up and shaking Rawle's hand. "It was nice meeting you, although I wish it were under better circumstances,"

"It was my pleasure, Rayna. I am sure we will see and talk to each other again. It may be a while before this case is closed," Rawle says. Then, he shakes my hand, "Nice to meet you, Conner; take care of her. From what I have gathered, her life has been challenging and hellish."

"Believe me, she and William are my everything. I wouldn't dream of not taking care of her. Thanks for helping to get Joan locked up. Come on, kitten, let's go."

***

Once we got to the hotel, Rayna and I lay on the bed and held each other close. She finally fell asleep, so I climbed out of bed, grabbed my phone, and called my dad.

I dial dad's number, and it rings a few times. "Conner, hey, aren't you in Idaho? What is wrong?"

"We met with the D.A. today. She informed us that Cain and Joan were looking for hitmen to kill Rayna."

"What? Why in the Fuck is this the first time I am hearing about this? What in the hell is wrong with those two? I need to make some calls. I will get this shit settled once and for all. That girl has been trying to put her past behind her. Then she finds this out. I am so fucking pissed off right now; I could kill them with my own hands."

"Dad, listen! Cain and Joan are both in jail. If we are lucky, they will never see the light of day again. Don't do anything stupid."

"Those two needs taught a lesson; I will make sure it's one they'll never forget."

"Dad, I want no part in whatever you have planned. I just want to live my life with the woman of my dreams without worrying about people hurting her and our kids."

"I have to go, Conner. Please take care of Rayna. I will talk to you later. I love you both," He says before the line goes dead.

What is that man planning? I am not sure what my dad does for a living, but now, he is freaking me out. Wanting to figure out what the hell he does, I called my two sisters. But, before I can call Bay, I look down and see that my mother is calling me.

Well, shit, I need to answer this. Mom will be here, pissed at me for not responding to her call if I don't. "Hello, mom."

"Conner, what in the heck did you tell your father he is on the warpath."

"I told him that Cain and Joan were trying to hire a hitman to take out Rayna."

"Son, I got to run. I will talk to you later. Love you."

"Mom, wait, what is going on with you and dad? What are the two of you planning on doing?"

"Don't worry about it. You just take care of your family. We will talk later," Mom says, then the phone goes dead.

I dial Baylie's number and wait for her to answer. "Hello, Conn. Why are you calling me? I never hear from you."

"Bay, what is it mom and dad do for a living?"