Chapter 26

Rayna's POV

Thursday morning, Conner and I are getting ready to head to my mom and dad's house to drop William off before heading to Idaho to meet with Martha. I had told mom and dad that Martha had called me Monday after the families had all shown up at school. "She wants me to go there to talk about what has happened to me. So, it will be something like I did here," I had told them, then I added, "She also wants to talk to me about the case against Cain."

"Rayna isn't the school you will be speaking at the same school you used to attend?" dad asked me.

"I believe so. I would hate to think there is someone there I could have helped and didn't because I never went there to speak. Promise I will be good; I will have Conner there with me. After talking there, I may never see most of those kids again."

"Won't it be hard to tell them all your story?" mom asked.

"No, I won't see them again. I don't care what those kids think about me. The assembly I did here was with people I see every day. It was harder to do."

Once I calmed my parent's fears down, they agreed to watch William while out of town. So, we are now loading the car with our luggage. "Kitten is this everything we need," Conner asked me.

"Yeah, it's everything other than my laptop, which I will need; I will go grab it."

"Okay, I will see if we have everything for William."

"Let's hurry. I know mom and dad will talk our ears off," I say, laughing.

"Yeah, they are more nervous than you. Since you will be speaking at your old school," Conner chuckles.

***

Once we get to my parent's house, my parents meet us at the door. "Good morning, Rayna, Conner, and Willy," mom says.

"Good morning, mom and dad. William has been fed and is ready for the day. Conner and I need to get on the road," I say, hugging and kissing William. "I will call you when we get to the hotel. I love you both," giving them both hugs.

"Conner, please take care of her. She lived the worst years of her life there," dad says.

"Ryan, I will make sure she is taking care of herself. I won't let what others say bring her down. I promise."

"Good, now you two be safe," mom says.

"We will, mom," I say, giving William another hug.

Conner and I walk back to the car. Climb in and start our 10-hour drive to Idaho.

***

Once we get to Idaho, we check in to the hotel and go to our room, where I call my parents and let them know that we. Then, getting off the phone with them, we went to a small cafe close to the hotel.

As we walked in the door, I noticed Martha and Joan having a heated discussion. Martha looks at me and smiles. Then, she walks over to me. "Rayna, I didn't know you made it to town yet," She says.

"We just checked into our hotel. What is going on? Why are you and Joan here together?" I asked, a little worried.

"Joan wanted me to set up a meeting between you and her. I told her I would ask you, but it was totally up to you," Martha says.

"Since we are all here, why not sit together and talk over dinner?"

"Okay, let me go tell Joan," Martha says.

"Kitten, are you sure you want to talk to Joan," Conner asked me.

"No, but it needs to be done. It is better to get it over with now, than wait and let it stew in Joan's mind," I say, walking toward Joan and Martha.