Chapter 13: Whether I Die Or Not Doesn't Matter To You

I swear it was the first time I'd ever seen him.

I was certain that I could not erase a person with such a striking appearance from my memory.

The man didn't answer my question and just looked at me.

An emotion that could not be expressed in words fluttered in his eyes. I didn't know why he was looking at me like that.

Anyway, I couldn't leave this man alone who knew my name from my previous life.

"I asked what it was that you said," I asserted again.

".........."

It was when I was about to keep questioning the man who seemed to have no intention of opening his mouth.

"-die Perdia!"

A familiar voice came from afar.

"Carlot?"

I turned my head in the direction the voice came from. I couldn't see Carlot yet, but he seemed to be in a nearby alley.

'I have to go back. Before that, I must figure out this man's identity.'

I was about to think about it.

An unfamiliar scent passed by the tip of my nose.

"I will visit you soon," a low voice rumbled in my ear.

"....what?"

When I turned my eyes back, the man had disappeared without a trace.

I looked at the place where the mysterious person had just been standing before.

'What was that?'

I felt like I was possessed by something.

It was a brief meeting, but it felt like a long time had passed. But there was no time for leisurely immersion in such feelings.

Carlot, who found me before I knew it, approached me with big steps and grabbed my shoulders.

"Hey, you......! What if you suddenly disappear? Where the hell have you been?"

I narrowed my brows, at the power that entered Carlot's hand. I wasn't in pain, but I felt the pressure on my gripped shoulder, and frowned involuntarily.

"Do you know how dangerous it is to walk around alone without an escort? No matter how much you walk around Toinette Street alone–"

"Why does it matter?"

At my question, Carlot paused briefly, clenching his lips, and asked back blankly.

"What?"

"I don't understand."

"What don't you understand–"

I looked at him with unfazed eyes. "It doesn't matter to you whether I die or not."

Carlot's hand, which was holding my shoulder, loosened and soon fell off.

It was a matter of course, but I still couldn't understand Carlot's surprise.

Even if bad things happened while I was walking around the street without an escort or I died, it had nothing to do with Carlot.

I knew my death meant nothing to him because I was just an illegitimate child, not a family member.

The person who wants me to disappear more than anyone.

'That's you, Carlot.'

I remembered clearly. Carlot's words when he was young, that dirty illegitimate children should die. Carlot, who was younger than me, may not remember, but I would not forget.