Chapter Seventeen - Not a Human

I was sitting on the couch while Billy stood next to me slouched over while looking at the rest of the crew.

Mamoru: Would you believe me if I said I wasn't human? Uh, mostly anyway.

Maine: Yea, sure.

Mamoru's face turned into one filled with confusion as he looked at Maine with a raised eyebrow.

Mamoru: Just like that? Not gonna question it?

Maine chuckled while scratching the back of his head.

Maine: Kid, you bled a little on that Maelstrom fucker and he became...Tha-

Mamoru: Billy.

Maine: Fuckin- Yea, sure. And Billy was....Uh...Born? Yeah, that. I'd be weirded the fuck out if you were actually human.

Okay now that's just mean. I mean, yeah, sure. Most people can't make beasts just by pouring a bit of their blood on an open wound on a human being, but I was still like....Uh...12,5 procent human? No, probably a bit lower but my point still stands!

Maine: But again, I personally don't care about people's pasts, or I guess in your case what you are. As long as you get the job done then you might as well be the devil for all I care.

Huh, he has no idea how weirdly accurate that "devil" statement is.

Lucy:...Can I ask you something?

Oh? Once again she participates in a conversation. Maybe this is her finally coming out of her shell?

Lucy: How do we now that that thi-..."Billy" won't try and zero any of us?

Or she just has her own survival in mind. David should really try harder to break through her little shell. It's embarrassingly edgy at this point.

Mamoru: No need to worry! As long as I'm alive, there is no way that Billy will try and harm anyone here.

......

......

Lucy:...And if you're six feet under?

Third-person P.O.V

Mamoru bit his bottom lip and squinted his eyes as he thought real hard and good about Lucy's question. That reaction alone didn't exactly give the crew high hopes for what may happen.

Mamoru: Eh...I mean....He...Might kill you? If I were to give it a procentage chance...I'd say that it's about 100% certain.

David: That's not really "might" though is it?!

David's concerns were well founded, after all. The idea that a nearly two and a half meter tall, lanky monstrosity known as Billy ripping them apart didn't exactly sit well with the crew. Go figure.

Mamoru raised his hand and waved off David's words with a laugh.

Mamoru: Don't be so tense now! Let's be real, what are the chances that someone like me actually dies?

Maine: Probably in the next two months.

Dorio: I'd say three months, tops.

Pilar: I'm surprised that you even lived for this long kid!

Kiwi: It wouldn't surprise me if you got a bullet to the head tommorow.

Lucy:...No comment.

David just awkwardly scratched the back of his head while Rebecca shrugged her shoulders while saying "eh" in a casual tone.

Mamoru pouted while looking away, feeling frustrated at the fact that they didn't seem to have much belief in him living for much longer. I mean, yea sure. He may barely know anything about how things work in this world, charge recklessly into battles, play around in fights, etc. But come on! Have some belief in him!