Chapter Twenty One - Mabeast or Death

Veronica P.O.V

The explosion happened instantly, the grenade had been thrown with incredible timing, one moment of hesitation and the person that had thrown it would have been blown up.

I expected to die, how couldn't I? An explosion, a mere meter or something away from me. I should be dead.

But... I'm not. It all happened so fast. The explosion did happen while I was a mere meter away from it, I'm sure of that. But now... now I was in a different spot, not too far from where I was a second ago, but far enough to not be hit by the explosion.

I had obviously closed my eyes, so I had no idea what the hell happened, but the sudden wind and hands around me... it almost felt like....

It was almost like someone had grabbed me and outran the explosion.

N-No... that can't the right...

Only someone with a high grade implant like a Sandevistan or with high grade tech could do something like that. That's impossible though, after all, who would even bother saving me? A cyberpsycho?

I glanced over to my right and saw the same boy from before standing there. He was wiping dust off of his shoulder...

Ah, right. Natsuki Mamoru, he said...

Right, I remember now. He hadn't bothered to turn off any of the cameras back then, so it was easy to trace the Maelstrom situation back to him. He's been getting somewhat famous as of late, being someone that mostly targets Maelstrom, for some reason.

Also... he apparantly doesn't have any cybernetics. But that's not possible. No one could do these kind of things without any kind of upgrade.

And yet, I did see the video, of him tearing through the gang with his bare hands while somehow making it look easy.

Without even saying anything he wrapped his arm around my waist and we jumped away-- What the fuck! How far up are we going?!

Mamoru: That was a close one... Hey! Billy! You can get out of there now!

Billy? Who the hell is that? Urgh... my head hurts... this kid...

Ah, right. I remember seeing him with some other kid at the place I worked at. Can't believe that even back then I hadn't noticed the obvious hints at my slow fall to madness... no, I noticed it, but I tried to ignore it.

Fuck, I'm such an idiot.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Third person P.O.V

The two sat across from one another. They were currently in one of the many restaurants in Night City, it wasn't anything fancy, it was something that couldn't possibly be considered corpo-level, but it was fine enough.

Also, it wasn't actually just the two of them since Billy, the tall Mabeast sat next to Mamoru. He was obviously way too big for the seats, but the monster tried to squeeze in anyway.

Naturally, seeing this monster most, if not all of the customers left the building. Usually that would cause a chain reaction where an owner or manager would come to kick them out for scaring the customers, but no one was dumb enough to try and kick out a monster like that.

Veronica:...Uh... shouldn't I go to a doctor or something...? I'm pretty sure that I'm still bleeding.

Mamoru: That sounds like a waste of money.

Clear disagreement was plain to see on Veronica's face as she held her right hand on her stomach in pain.

While rolling is eyes in annoyance, Mamoru leaned forward and flicked her forehead. She quickly leaned away out of instinct and was about to ask what the hell he was doing, but before she could she noticed something.