Chapter Nineteen - The Day After

Unknown P.O.V

I hate my own body. I despise it with a passion. If I could I would let myself be tortured by scavs for a whole day if it meant I would get a new body, I would jump at the chance with no hesitation.

It's not that I'm ugly or anything, it's not about my appearance. That's not what I hate about this body.

What I really hate, is how horribly my body reacts to cybernetic implants.

There are those rare few in the world who can handle large amounts of cyberware that would make a normal man insane without any trouble. The best example of this is probably the imfamous boogeyman, Adam Smasher.

But there are also those that just can't handle cyberware. Not even what is considered 'safe' amounts of it. I hate it, I know it was a stupid dream of mine, but I want to become an edgerunner. Someone who would be talked about in the afterlife.

But no, here I am, working as a waitress to make ends meet. I know that I'm awful at handeling cybernetics, but... but...

Maybe... I'd be able to fight through it... Yea. I'm sure that I'd be able to power through the stress with my will power. I'm not like those drunken dumbasses who go cyberpsycho.

Still, that kid... We were getting robbed that day and... It felt like I was hallucinating, it was only for a couple of seconds, but for a short while he didn't look like a kid to me, no.

He looked like the devil himself, his body despite still being small looking like an eldrich abomination, with random, disgusting body parts and even strange and long purple hands coming out of his back.

Weirdly enough, the purple hands remained floating behind him after the hallucination ended... Is this the effect of cyberps-

No! No, god no! I just... I'm overworking myself, yes! That's it! Nothing more, nothing less. I'll prove to everyone that they were wrong! I'll... Be the best of the best.

------------------------------------------------------------

Third person P.O.V

*splash*

One step.

*splash*

Two steps.

*splash*

Three steps.

With each step, a small splash could be heard ring out in the large, hollow building. Mamoru walked through the building, the floor wet. Despite that, he didn't seem bothered by it, he walked through it without care.

Was it water that came from a broken pipe that caused the floor to become wet? Was it rain that squeezed through the small, but open holes in the ceiling.

No, no, no, no.

The answer is rather evident if one even spared a single glance at the floor, it was quite obvious that it wasn't just water for one simple reason.

It was crimson red. Blood.

Without even sparing a glance at the bodies that laid on the floor, dead. All of them had a large amount of chrome and it was easy to tell that they were all Maelstrom members.

Mamoru himself was covered in blood, nearly head to toe, none of it was his though, fortunately.

After a couple of seconds of walking, Mamoru arrived at the destination and finally looked down at the ground.

A Maelstrom member sat there, back against the wall. A bald male with a visor similar to Pilar's. Unlike him though, he was quite bulky. His left arm was gone, it sat on the ground next to him rather than being attached to his body. The damage almost looked like someone had shot a cannon ball at it.