Chapter 14

We ran full speed back to the pack house. As we dodged pack members and visitors, we didn't slow until we reached the infirmary. I quickly shift back and yell for a doctor and a room. A nurse points to a door, and Josh rushes Matthew in. He was immediately followed into the room by a doctor. A short while later, Josh leaves covered up in a hospital gown. Mom throws a blanket across my shoulders to help me cover up and sits beside me.

"What happened?" Mom asked as I took the blanket from her.

"We found Matt; we may have found him too late," I said, staring at the door with worry evident in my voice.

"I'll get you some clothes, have a seat in the waiting room." She says as she walks away.

I sat there watching the door in worry; my thoughts were going a million miles a minute. Then, a short while later, Josh walks up to me, interrupting my thoughts. "How did you know there were people in that area?" He asks, confused.

"I did have a dream," I exclaimed. "I woke up in my house and met a white wolf which I followed past the clearing where I found you, and eventually, I smelt his scent. So I figured I would give it a shot. It was just too real to ignore."

"Following your instincts is a fine quality in a Luna." I looked up and saw Alpha Hedrick smiling at me.

"Are the rest on the way back?"

"They are returning with 13 more wolves we rescued and one prisoner," I answered. "Oh, I'm sorry, Josh, this is Alpha Hedrick. Alpha, this is Josh, my best friend."

"Please, call me Hedrick." He smiled at us both. "I have to make preparations for the 13 wolves you rescued. I will come to check on you all soon."

He exits the room, and we sit there in awkward silence. Shortly after, Madison came down with clothes for Josh. Once he excused himself to change, Maddy held my hand reassuringly and sat with me, watching the door in silence.

"Here you go, sweetie." Mom handed me a set of sweatpants and a tank top with flip-flops.

I quickly went into the restroom and threw on the clothes Mom had brought me. Then, stepping back into the waiting room, I noticed that the doctor was waiting for me.

"Luna, the Alpha, has suffered a terrible ordeal, he is currently in a coma, and we are unsure if he will ever wake up from it. There seems to be little to no contact with his wolf, as his wounds are not healing as they should. We recommend you stay with him as much as possible. Having you near him may help his wolf resurface."

"Can we go in now?" I asked the doctor.

"Yes, but not too many at once."

I thank him and walk into the room. Matthew is lying there in peaceful sleep, his black eyes are the only color on his pale face, and the cuts and scrapes down his arms look like they have been there forever. I take his hand in mine and sit quietly. Soon, Josh and Madison enter the room.

"Madison, I think it may be a good idea for you to stay here as much as possible. Even though I'm his mate, he doesn't remember me. Maybe hearing you talk may help him wake up too."

She looks at me and nods, pulling up a chair on his other side. I take a deep breath and look at Josh.

"I am going to need your help as well. You will need to help me keep this mess under control. First, I want you to find the remaining Blood Moon pack members. Let's see who is left. Eventually, when this is all over, we will have to rebuild. But if they don't want to return, I will need to talk to Hedrick to get them accepted here."

He nods and kisses Maddy, and leaves the room. Soon, Uncle John is standing at the door behind us.

"We have brought the remaining survivors here. Hedrick has prepared rooms for them, but first, they need to be checked out by the doctor. Richard is currently getting our prisoner comfortable, and he will come here. One of the women we saved was his mate."

I smiled at him. "I'm glad; how did the other groups do?"

"Two came up empty, one group found a small camp as we did, and the remaining two are still out there."

I nodded and smiled at him. He smiled back and left the room.

We waited for another hour, and Richard walked in.

"I will be questioning the Rogue tomorrow. I know you are supposed to be with your mate, but would you like to join."

"Yes, please come get me when you start making your way to him." He nodded to Maddy and me and left the room.

"Maybe you should go get some rest; I will stay here with him tonight," I said as she nodded and left the room. Then, curling up on the chair and placing my head next to him, I fell into a restless sleep.