Chapter 20

Over the next four days, we could do nothing but sit in our cages, they barely feed us, and what they did give to me,  I gave half of it to Aiden. I have learned the patterns of the Rogues; I know there are more hostages than captors. The ability to mind-link Matt is still impossible, but I have been able to contact Garnet.

Any luck contacting Onyx?

No.

Looking around, I needed to find some way to get out of this cage and get these folks to safety. Aiden is starting to grow pale, and his sister hasn't sat up in a few days. With no end in sight, tears of frustration formed in my eyes. A thud is heard on the ground behind me as I turn to Aiden.

"Do not turn around...There are six rogues in here, three of us will not attack you, but you need to get out and quickly save these hostages before more show up."

"What about you three? Can you help me?"

"Will you promise to protect us??"

"I am the Luna of Blood Moon; I will protect you as I have one other who has been forced to work for Tull."

"I will talk to the other two. Get yourself out of the cuffs."

I turn around and notice that the Rogue drops me a dagger. I send a quick thank you to the Moon Goddess, grab the dagger, and move to the darkest part of the cage. Fiddling with the locks and ignoring the pain of the silver on my skin, I managed to get my arms free of the cuffs. I then started working on the cuffs on my feet. As I was fidgeting with the lock, the lead Rogue walked in, screaming and throwing things. The anxiety from the loud noise caused me to jump in fright from the loud noise, which caused the dagger to slip and slice through my ankle and leg.

Ahhhhh!

I bite down as hard as I can on my lip to silence my scream. Then, tasting blood, I rip a part of my shirt and tie it around the cut. I finally manage to get the final two cuffs free, but at a high cost, walking will be challenging, and fighting will be impossible. Sitting back and catching my breath, I lean against the cage.

"We will take care of two, but you are left with the leader." I feel something drop on my lap and see the key to my cell. Getting to my feet, I look at the Rogue, knowing I had one shot at this or I would be dead, and then the three that helped me would be killed too.

No pressure.

Thanks for that, Garnet.

I rolled my eyes as I continued to watch the Rogue continue to pace around the cave. Finally, he grabbed some meat and sat next to the campfire. Picking up the dagger, I close my eyes and take a deep breath. Once I  reopened my eyes, I counted to five and threw.

It's like the world stopped. I didn't even realize I was holding my breath following my throw. Once that knife connected with his head, he fell into the fire. Releasing my breath, I grabbed the key and let myself out of the cell. Quickly getting to Aiden's cell, I let him out. I then let the remaining prisoners. Once I got everyone out of cuffs, the three Rogues entered the cave.

"We have to get out of here now!" One said.

"Agreed. Can you three please carry a child? They have practically been starved and need help."

Nodding, they each grab a child, and we walk toward the cave entrance. Once we stepped outside, the sunlight burned its reflection into our eyes.

"Where are we? Is there a pack close?" I asked.

"It's a one-day walk to Silver Lake and a three-day walk to Blood Moon."

"These kids are not going to make it three days or more. So let's head to Silver Lake. Hopefully, we can call Midnight Rain." I said. We hope we won't be immediately thrown in the dungeons because we are a large group of Rogues.

The walk was long and tiring, but we had to stop often because of the kids and my injured leg. Finally, nearly two days later, we crossed the Silver Lake borders. Holding our hands up in a non-threatening manner, we walked up to the guards.

"Who are you? And why are Rogues coming to our borders?"

I began to open my mouth to explain, but I was cut off before I could.

"OH MY GODDESS EMILY YOU ARE ALIVE"

I am quickly pulled into a hug by Matt.

"Wait! How did you know I was here?"

"After your mind link cut off, we got warnings of being under attack. We managed to stop the Rogue army and began to look for you. We looked where ever we could, and then we thought, with your vision of Silver Lake being attacked, Hedrick decided to call and warn them and send help. We arrived yesterday; I was out with Roberto checking on the training when I smelled your scent."

Tears began to form. "I have missed you," I said and kissed him passionately. "These kids and adults need medical attention ASAP!" I said, looking at the border guards.

"We are not letting Rogues in our territory!" He countered.

"These Rogues were prisoners with me, and three saved my life. I may not be a part of Silver Lake, but my pack is here helping defend you from the same people that held these kids, prisoner! Would your Alpha like it if we recalled our troops because his border guard prejudice outweighed his common sense?!" I spat at him.

"No, I don't believe I would like that at all," a tall African man with dark brown skin, brown eyes, and a shaved head came up to us. "I apologize for my border guard, I am Alpha Darius, and it's great to meet you, Luna Emily. We can catch up soon; I will also ensure all these folks receive medical attention and food. Please get your leg looked at, and we can meet tomorrow."

"Thank you, Alpha; I apologize for my short temper. It's been a long week." I replied as Matt picked me up bridal style and carried me to their infirmary. Once he was given directions to a room, he laid me on the bed and pulled up a chair to sit next to me.

"What happened?" He asked.

I took a deep breath and explained how I was knocked out and woke up in a cage. I explained the strange dream of Selene and the vision I had when I held Aiden's hand. I finished the story with how the Rogues helped me escape and that they are under our protection now.

He said nothing, just listened. When I was finished, he pulled me close, hugged me, and kissed my forehead. "I'm so sorry; we looked for you. We tore the surrounding areas apart. I figured coming here may have brought us a new opportunity to find you."

I pulled him in and kissed him. "I'm here and not going to leave you again" I started hugging him as the doctor walked in and looked at my leg. Once I explained everything to him, he verified my wolf healing was working its magic but wiped some cream on my wrists, ankles, and leg to help with possible infection.

A short time later, I was released. Matt immediately gave me his phone with strict instructions to call my mother. Dialing her number and saying hello, she immediately started screaming and crying. After thirty minutes of reassuring her I'm fine and I'll be home soon, she finally let me hang up.

I handed him back his phone, and a huge yawn escaped my lips. He picks me up, carries me into our room, and sits me on the bed. Giving me one of his oversized T-shirts and a pair of Basketball Shorts, he helps me change. He then gets in his pajamas, crawls into bed, pulls me close, and we both drift off to sleep.