Chapter 24

We walked downstairs to see Alpha Darius, Alpha Hedrick, and Richard speaking. We came in, said our hellos, and watched the frantic moving around us. Leo runs up to us and announces that the scouts have confirmed the Rogue Army has arrived. They are coming from the front.

"Pull back the border guards. I want all fighters to this clearing." Darius pointed to a vast clearing on the map. "I want trackers in the trees with arrows. We focus on keeping them away from the pack house. Some of those fighters are victims. If it looks suspect, knock them out; don't kill them!"

I watch as Leo, Hedrick, and Matt mind links the instructions to the warriors. Then, finally, I grab my daggers, quiver, and Dad's bow from the ground beside me and head for the clearing. A few short steps later, I heard my name. Turning around, I was engulfed in Matt's tight hug and kiss.

"Don't you dare die today!"

I crack a smile. "I couldn't leave you and Josh alone; you'd drive each other crazy. You be safe, too; I love you!"

"I love you too."

We walk to the clearing, and I climb one of the tallest trees I can find and secure myself. Watching this large army move closer, my nerves get the best of me.

Looking down at the armies, they remain hidden as best as possible to keep the element of surprise on our side. As the footsteps of the approaching army got louder, I watched them walk unsuspectingly toward the clearing.

"Everyone ready?" I say to all the archers in the trees with me. "Don't hold back; they won't hold back on you." I pray silently to the Moon Goddess, hoping the Rogues who received our message stay out of the way as we asked. The archers in the trees wearily notch our arrows and wait with bated breath for the Rogues to enter the clearing.

As the Rogues start to step out of the woods, I hear someone shout FIRE! Arrows were released, and Rogues fell to the ground. At the same time, the clearing fills up with fighting troops and wolves. Shifted and un-shifted fighters compete for dominance while arrows rain down upon them. The ground was becoming littered with dead wolves and humans, the encroaching darkness making it harder and harder to tell who the enemy was.

As I went to fire another shot, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a Rogue woman with red hair fighting a shifted wolf. Julie... I thought to myself. As I looked closer at the wolf, I realized it was Roberto.

Please don't kill her! She's innocent. Lead her out of here

Luna?

Please just do it, Roberto!

Knowing so much more is happening around me, I have to trust Roberto to follow orders. I look below me I see Richard in wolf form struggling against three wolves. I aim and fire; my arrow connects and takes out one of them while another warrior begins fighting the other. I look for another clear shot at anything. I had a few, so I started taking them. Suddenly I had an extremely sharp pain in my chest. I hunched over violently and dropped my bow.

Matt? You ok??

Receiving no answer, I hurriedly unfastened myself from the tree and climbed down. Taking my daggers, I began trying to sniff out Matt. Darkness had completely overtaken the field, so it was tough to see anyone or anything in the trees. Looking to my right, I see Alpha Darius in a deadlocked battle with four Rogues. Watching him fight these four, I was in awe. He was undoubtedly a powerful Alpha. I sprint in and grab one of the unsuspecting Rogues off of him. As he tried to figure out what had happened, he threw a clumsy punch at me. Ducking under his fist, I punch him in the stomach. As he bends over to cover the pain, I slice his throat.

Standing up, I barely dodge a knife to the chest; as I regain footing, the Rogue charges at me. I brace myself for impact, then grab the hand holding the knife. Keeping it away from my face, I give him a nice hard kick in the groin. Then, I snap his neck as he is doubled over in pain. I grab my daggers and stand up, only to hear a loud bang. Confusion fills me as I feel a slight breeze by my head. I turn around to see a Rogue a little too close for comfort behind me, falling as blood flows between his eyes.

"Nice shot," I smirk as I turn around to see Uncle John.

"You're welcome, Princess." He winds at me and moves on to the clearing.

Returning to the task, I looked at Alpha Darius, who had just finished the last Rogue. He looked at me in appreciation.

Matt? I asked

"Went left into the woods," he replied, and I took off running in that direction.

Finally getting his scent, I start sprinting to him. I see him fighting a Rogue and getting closer, and I realize that Rogue is Tull. However, I see Tull had the upper hand, and Matt is wounded. Thinking fast, I threw my dagger at him. Unfortunately, it landed underneath his shoulder blade.

Missed ugh.

Tull turned around and smirked at me. "Welcome to the Battle Luna. You have shitty aim," he cackled. "I think I'll return this to you.

Pulling the dagger out of his back, he walks toward me. However, his arm was quickly grabbed by Matt, and a large crack was heard as Matt broke his arm.

Screaming in pain, he growls and turns to look at Matt. Running behind him, I put my other dagger to his throat. "Touch him, and you will die.

Cackling again, he drops my dagger. "You don't have the upper hand no matter what you think, you may have won this time, but I'll be back." As soon as the words left his mouth, he backward head butt me causing me to slightly scrape his neck as I lost my grip and footing. He used this opportunity to run away.

I quickly got to Matt's side to check on the gash in his chest/stomach. "You need a doctor! Can you stand?"

"I can. I will be fine. My wolf is healing me."

I helped him up and began walking him back to the army. As the army began to clean up the bodies, many Rogues came out of the woods with their hands up. I handed Matt to the doctor on the field and walked over to Jack, who was leading the Rogues.

Roberto?

Yes, Luna?

Are you still with Julie? Please bring her to the field.

Yes, Luna.

I walked over to Jack and the Rogues, "I understand you all were forced into this. Please understand that we will continue to do all we can to help free your family from the caves."

As I was finished speaking, I looked at Jack, who had tears in his eyes, staring behind me. "How about if I move out of the way," I giggled and moved, and they ran to each other, instantly hugging and giving each other a passionate kiss.