Chapter 11

Carter Rivera POV

As I wake on Monday and head downstairs, I see my brother sitting at the table looking at his coffee like it will tell him the answer to life. 

I didn't get much sleep last night since Oaklee started missing school. She wasn't in my class on Saturday and I have been walking around the library and the school hoping to catch a glimpse of her to make sure she is ok but nothing.

I haven't seen her since she ran out of the nurses office on Thursday. I went to online to find her schedule and found out she has English the days she doesn't have me. So obviously I checked in with that teacher and he hasn't seen her either.

Maybe she has a family emergency or maybe she's avoiding me but that's wouldn't explain why she was missing english class. 

I sigh as I sit across from my brother. 

"Good morning, everything ok?" I asked him.

"Nope, all of you are moping around and it's no fun." I sighed and ran a hand through my hair.

"We're just worried about Oaklee." I tried to reason.

"And so am I but we can't let her dictate our home life, now be happy it's Monday and she might be here this week." He smiled at me and I gave a small smile back. "See much better already." I scowled and stuck my tongue out at him. He just laughed at me. Laughed.

Oaklee Monroe POV

I walk to school slowly, making sure that I didn't see Dr Cruz. I was walking towards the english building when a car pulled up. I hid behind a tree as I watched Dr Cruz, Mr Rivera and Dr Rivera step out of the car.

I looked around for an escape but it seemed like the closest place was the english building. I watched as the scanned the area and then started off towards the main building. When their backs were turned I ran to the english building.

I breathed a sigh of relief as I entered the class and saw some seats in the back. I sat in the back and waited for class to start.

Students started entering and sitting down. Thankfully no one seat next to me until a girl came in and looked around. She looked at me and smiled. She then started walking towards me. When she got next to me, she looked me over.

"Are you Oaklee Monroe?" She asked politely. I nodded and she took a seat. She put all her stuff down and put her hand out to me. "My name is Dakota Keller. I was supposed to be your guide from day 1 but my flight got cancelled and I only just got home yesterday. So tell me something about yourself." I took her hand and shook it. She gasped. "You're very warm. Are you sick?" I shook my head and took my hand back.

"Um, what do you want to know?" I mumble as I lay my head on my desk and try not to fall asleep. She looked at me suspiciously before letting me change the subject.

"You know basic stuff. I'll start. I'm 20, I have 2 siblings who are both younger. I grew up here and I spent the summer in Europe. Your turn." She smiles at me again. I look to the door and try to use some matilda skills to make the teacher come in faster but it doesn't work. 

"I'm 15, I don't have any siblings, I also grew up here and I spent the summer here finishing up high school and getting ready for college." I mean it's not a complete lie. 

"That's so cool, I wish I was as smart as you."

Before she could say anything else, the teacher walked in and started the class. Throughout the class Dakota would talk to me and the teacher would just glare at her. I would anywhere but her or the teacher since I didn't want to get in trouble.

When class ended, we went to get lunch together. Thankfully today I didn't have my phone since its lost at home because if my aunt knew I ate lunch it would cause another beating and I didn't need that.

We ate lunch together, me eating only half a sandwich with an apple and her eating a full burger and fries. After we finished eating, we decided to take a walk on the campus before sitting down on a bench.