Chapter 27

Oaklee Monroe POV

"Hi, I'm Kelly, your social worker." 

"Hi, I'm Oaklee." I say with a bored voice.

"Ok, well I'll be handling your case, I'm going to make your profile and try to get you adopted." She says with a smile.

Ares nods and leaves the room again. Where the hell is he going? Like it's not like I want him to leave.

Then Ms Kelly started asking me all these questions about myself, what I like, dislike blah, blah, blah. I'm tired and I don't really want to do this and know what was even worse?

She was smiling through the whole thing and whenever Ares came in to grab something or do a little bit of work, she flirted with him and stared at him for longer than normal. I'm surprised he didn't notice or wasn't bothered by it.

When she finally left, I sigh and leaded back on the couch. When Ares came back in he sat down once again at his desk. I looked at the clock and saw that it was around dinner time. Everything has happened so fast.

"She likes you, pro tip don't date her." I said to him. He whipped his head up and looked at me.

"She does not like me." 

"Boys are so clueless." I groaned. "She stared at you whenever came in, she ignored me the whole time when you were here, she stared at you for minutes at a time and spoke differently too when you were in the room." 

"Ok, well I don't like her."

"Thank god." I say before laying down on the couch.

About an hour later someone comes in and they are the person who is taking me to the orphanage. I get up leaving the blanket and grabbing my sweater. I grab my bag. Saying bye to Ares and following the lady.

She drives me about 15 minutes out of town until we get to this mansion type building, it's white with red roofs. We enter and there are kids everywhere. I mean everywhere. Some are playing, some talking, reading, anything you can imagine. 

She leads me through the hallways to an office with the head lady. She doesn't speak to me, just gives me a list of rules to follow. 

1. don't speak unless spoken to

2. no complaining

3. anything else I say is a rule is a rule even if it's not written

That's not fair. The lady who brought me, leads me to a room with beds and one bathroom. All the beds are bunks and she leads me to an empty bed. I have bottom bunk. She shows me around a little bit and I realize almost every room on the second floor is a bedroom, the beds shoved as close as possible and all are bunks.

I thank her and watch her leave. I put my bag in the side table that's mine and start walking around. It's around 7 when dinner bell rings. Everyone runs to the dinning room. A girl is serving everyone food. I stand in line with other kids and get a very small portion of food.

I look at the food and it looks like potatoes with meat. I find an empty seat and start eating. It barely fills me. I guess if your first in line you get more. After dinner everyone goes to their room. It seems like people have started to notice me.

I shower and use the bathroom before laying down on my bed. A boy appears next to me with his hand out. I shake his hand.

"I'm James, your bunkmate." Damn I guess girls and boys sleep together in the same rooms.

"I'm Oaklee, I'm new." He nods and then gets in bed with me. "What are you doing?" I ask.

"Getting to know you duh, I'm 12 and my parents died in a fire, I have no other family and I have been here for about a year."

"I'm 15, my parents died in a car crash, I lived with my abusive aunt and uncle till now."

Then we just started talking. We laughed and chatted long into the night, no one next to us seemed to mind. Everyone in the room seemed to talk to someone and then around 12 it started getting quieter and quieter until we were the only ones talking. 

"Well, I better head to bed, see you tomorrow Oaklee."

"You too, James." He nodded and smiled before climbing up to the top.

The night was not the best night of sleep, with people snoring, people getting up, child crying and the noises of the house made it hard to sleep.