Chapter 16

Ares Cruz POV

Oaklee looks down at her hand with droopy eyes. Then she looks over at me. I make sure to start preparing an IV but out of her sight. I hang a bag of saline and go over to the cabinet to find some strong medicine I can inject into the IV to drop her fever.

"Um, I cut myself." I sit down on the rolling chair and look at her as she closes her eyes again. She sighs and tries to push herself more into Elijah. Elijah gently takes her right arm and holds it out for me.

She opens her eyes and looks at what I'm doing like she knows what's coming. I pull up her sleeve and expose her wrist. I'm putting the IV on the back of her hand. Elijah gently holds her forearm as I put some gloves on.

She looks around and it seems like she knows what's going to happen because she whimpers and tries to get away. Elijah wraps his other arm around her body and that seems to stop everything. 

This fever must have made her super weak. I clean the back of her hand and she starts to cry. Elijah starts rocking her back and forth.

"Shh, it's ok. Just a small pinch and it will make you feel all better." She whimpers again and looks at me as I take the needle and move towards her hand. I take her small hand in mine and smile up at her. 

I look at Elijah and we make silent conversation while she cries waiting for me to poke with this needle. When he finally gets it, he moves her head up and into his chest. She tries to move and look again but he keeps his hand on the back of her head. 

She start sobbing even more and it breaks my heart.

"It's gonna be ok, why don't you try and sleep and when you wake you'll be all better." Elijah says in a soft and soothing voice. She shakes her head and somehow moves her head to see me.

I'm not looking at her so when I go to put it in she cries and then whimpers as I tape it down. I look up to see her watching me and sigh. I let go of her hand but make sure Elijah has s good grip on her arm so she doesn't take it out.

I take out some bandages and choose a blue one. I wrap it around her hand and put a clip on it making sure it's harder for her to take off her IV before letting go fo her hand. Elijah looks at me and I nod. He also lets go of her hand and she pulls it close to her. 

I sigh and then realize I forgot to give her the fever medicine. I turn back to her and rest the syringe in my hand. Hopefully this goes easier since there is no needle part and it just get inserted into the IV.

"Can I have your hand? I need to give you special medicine." I say softly.

Oaklee Monroe POV

I shake my head and hold my hand even closer hiding it from both of them.

"Why not?" Dr Cruz asks me. 

"I don't know what's in it." I whisper. "It might make me even more sick." He looks at me sadly before nodding.

"How about we make a deal? I give you this and if it makes you even more sick, I'll stop bothering you and I won't make you get a physical next week." He says.

"No." I say. I would rather get a physical then get sick again.

"Please." He pleads. I shake my head again and then he looks at Elijah. Elijah start to rock me back and forth and hum. I think he's trying to get me to go to sleep.

The next 10 minutes all I do is stare at Dr Cruz and the needle in his hand. When they finally realize I'm not going to sleep, Dr Cruz puts down the needle and leaves the room, muttering about checking on other patients.

Elijah goes back to rocking me and soon I lose the fight to awareness and fall asleep.

Elijah Rivera POV

She finally falls asleep. I sigh in relief and try to move but she holds onto me. I gently take her hand with the IV and move it away from her chest. I move it to rest in my hand so that when Ares comes back in he can giver her the fever medicine. 

When I checked it before it was almost hitting 40 C/104 F, which is hospital temperature. I lean back and rest with her on me. She shifts and rests her head on my shoulder with her face in the crook of my neck. I wrap my arms around her and decide to also get some rest.

I wake as the door opens. I look and see I got a good 15 minute nap. Ares walks in and smiles. He grabs the syringe and takes her hand gently. I hold it as he injects the medicine using her IV. She shifts and whimpers, trying to pull her hand away but I softly rock her back to sleep.

"See you later." Ares says as he leaves with a frown.

He's just jealous she's clinging to me and not him. I smirk as I close my eyes once again.