Chapter 22

Oaklee Monroe POV

Monday comes way to fast. On Sunday I literally did nothing but chill all day. My aunt and uncle didn't like the meal I cooked yesterday and decided that spraining my wrist was the answer so now I have a handprint bruise and possible sprain on one of my wrist. 

I pack my bags and fiddle with my fingers the whole way to school. I get to school and head to the english building. I sit down in the middle of the room but off to the side. The room starts to fill up and my knee starts bouncing. The teacher comes in and my breath hitches.

I watch everything happen with bouncing knees and shaking finger. 

"Ok, so class will still happen, Dr Rivera will come and call someone and they will go with him, hopefully we get everyone done today, Now let's start." She started the class and not even 5 minutes later he comes and calls the first students.

After a few students I realize he is going in Alphabetical order which means all I have to do is be out of the classroom before my name is called. I start counting the minutes each student takes. After 2 more students, it takes about 10-12 minutes for each student. 

Then the student before me gets called and they leave. I wait exactly 8 minutes before asking to go to the bathroom. I leave fast but walk slowly to the bathroom. I sit on the toilet and count the minutes.

1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 

I stay in the bathroom for 7 minutes just in case the appointment ran over. I start walking back to class with my head down making sure to come up with a good excuse as to why I was in the bathroom for 7 minutes.

The walk is about a minute but going to the bathroom doesn't take 5 minutes so then washing hands takes about 20-30 but if someone else is in the bathroom and using all the sinks you might have to wait.

I was lost in thought about what excuse to use I didn't realize there was someone standing in front of the classroom waiting for me. I look up to see Dr Rivera.

Shit.

I give him a crooked smile and he smiles back. He crosses my name off the clipboard and puts his hand on my back slowly guiding me towards the nurses office. 

"So how are you?" He asks as we walk.

"Fine." 

"How's your uncle doing?" We turn a corner

"Fine."

"How was yesterday?" The mention of yesterday as me looking down because all I can think about is Elio's bare chest and his warm body when he hugged me and that makes me want to blush and cry at the same time.

"Fine."

"OK, I see were not much of a talker today." He leads me into the nurses office and then to a bed.

"Nope." I say popping the p.

"Ok, since this isn't a dentist office we just have you lay down on the bed and I have a forehead light." He pats the bed and I slowly lay down. 

He puts on his gloves and puts a sheet over my chest. He sits down on a rolling chair and prepares some tools. I feel around my mouth one last time to see if anything hurts but nothing does. 

He puts a flashlight on his forehead and puts on a mask. 

"So I know you're a little nervous so I'm going to move your head to my lap and explain everything that's happening, ok?" I nod because I don't think I can speak.

He lowers the bed and then takes a pillow from the side. He puts it on his lap and moves both his hands to my cheeks. He starts to pull me gently towards his lap and I help him until I'm laying my head in his lap and the rest of my body on the bed.

"Ok, now open wide."