Chapter 24

Oaklee Monroe POV

I wake Tuesday feeling better but not my wrist, yesterday I came home late after hanging out with Dakota and Elio and they broke my already sprained wrist. I grab my things and leave since my aunt and uncle are already gone and don't even care about me.

I eat an apple on the way to school and take a painkiller for my wrist. I put it in a brace to keep everything still so that my broken bones don't move around or something. 

I get to psychology and head to my seat in the front like I always do. Luckily they broke my left wrist so I'm still about to write and take notes. 

Mr Rivera walks in, gives me a smile and passes me a note. Then he starts class. I open the note.

Oaklee,

I have checked your schedule and would it be ok for you to come to my office during your lunch break since I think after Neurology class it will be a little late since it ends at 5, I promise it won't take more than 30 minutes.

Since we don't actually have any braces for your wrist here we will be going to my clinic. Don't be late.

-Ares Cruz

I groan and put my head on the table. Now he's bringing me to a clinic. I lean back in my chair but then decide against it when my back pain flares up. They haven't whipped me since the first day but it still hurts and bleeds from time to time.

Psychology class went by faster than I wanted it to. In the end I was falling asleep because it was kinda boring and I didn't sleep last night from my wrist pain.

I felt a tap on my shoulder and looked up to see Mr Rivera. He smiled and grabbed my bag.

"Let's go, we don't want to be late."

I stood up and he lead me through the school to the nurses office. I was sleepy so I just followed him. Dr Cruz was waiting by the door and when he saw me he smiled. I smiled back and followed him out to his car.

I got in the back and they both got in the front. I slipped in and out of sleep throughout the car ride. Then the next thing I know someone picks me up. I panic and wriggle out of their grip. They don't expect it and drop me. 

I land on my bum and back and I let out a yelp as I use my hands to catch me.

"I'm sorry." Mr Rivera says as he crouches next to me.

"It's fine." I stand and follow him inside, now noticing Dr Cruz is gone.

He leads me to a room and I sit down on the examination table. He sits down on the parents seat and starts to read a book. Dr Cruz walks in.

He smiles. He has a white coat on now and a stethoscope around his neck. He sits down in a rolling chair and rolls in front of me. 

"Ok, so today I'm actually doing two things, the first is your wrist and the second is a check up since you haven't had one in a few years and the school requires it." I nod and my heart rate shoots up.

"Now, full name and age." He takes an ipad from the counter next to the door and starts typing at I talk.

"Oaklee Monroe, 15." He asks if he spelled my name correct and he didn't since my name is spelled a different way then normal.

"Any concerns?" I shake my head and he nods. He put the ipad aside. He stands up and come to stand right in front of me.

"Can I check you heart and lungs?" I shake my head and look over at Mr Rivera then back to Dr Cruz.

"Carter." He says looking at me.

"Yup."

"Can you please wait outside?" He asks still looking at me. Car-Mr Rivera nods and leaves. 

He puts the stethoscope in his ears and looks at me. I nod and let him put it under my shirt and sweatshirt. He listens to my heart and then my lungs.

He then checks my ears, eyes, throat and then my stomach. He also takes my blood pressure, weight and height. My heart doesn't stop pounding the entire time.

"Ok, now let me see your wrist." He puts on a pair of gloves and waits. I slowly put my hand out for him. He looks down at the brace on my wrist which he didn't give me. He takes it off and looks at my wrist. He's all bruised and purple.

Every time he moves it I wince. He grabs my other hand and brings me to an x-ray room. He puts my hand in different positions, some painful and other not. I don't make a sound except for a whimper here and there.

He brings me back to the exam room and asks me take off my sweatshirt as he goes out. He comes back with Dr Rivera, I thought Dr Rivera was a dentist.

"He's here to help me wrap your arm. So I looked at the x rays and you have a broken wrist, you don't need surgery but you need a cast and I need another hand. 

I take off my sweatshirt and I can see them looking at all my scars on my arms and whatever else they can see through my shirt. He lays me down and they both put on gloves. Dr Rivera take my arm and puts on hand under my elbow and the other holding my fingers. He points my arm upwards.

Dr Cruz comes back and starts wrapping it with fluffy wrap from the middle of my fingers to right above my elbow. Then he grabs some wet wrap and starts wrapping it. The water drips down my arm and it's warm. He does a few white wraps before asking me what color I want. 

I choose blue and then he wraps it in a blue color. He makes a hole for my thumb before coming back to stand next to me.

"This is gonna hurt a little, ok?" I nod and he wraps his hands around my cast and starts pressing. I cry out and try to get my arm out of his hold but Dr Rivera holds it still. When he finishes pressing, I bring my arm to my chest and he kisses my forehead and wipes my tears.

"All done." Then he gets another x ray to make sure it's set right before bringing me to a different room.