Chapter 18

Elijah Rivera POV

I woke to the sound of the door opening again. I looked around to see me still in the hospital with a very soft Oaklee. 

I looked to see Ares frowning at the IV drip. He looked at the chart and then the drip.

"What's wrong?" I ask as I bring my hand to rub my eye. I look at my hand and frown. When did I get hurt? 

What the hell is happening?

"I swear I put it so it would be done in an hour but it seems someone stopped it." He says frowning again, then he looks at me.

He comes over and takes off the blanket to see that Oaklee is gone and all there is, is a pillow. He takes my hand and I now see she put an IV in me. I laugh and lean back.

"What so funny?" He asked me as he undid the bandage around my hand.

"I'm going to guess that at least 2 nurses came and checked this room in the time she was gone and none noticed and her IV skills seem better than you." I say looking at my hand. He scowled.

"She is not better." He mutters as he takes off the tape. Then he pulls out the IV with some anger which makes it hurt and I mutter and ow.

"Really, then why didn't I wake when she put it in?" I ask as he gives me a cotton ball for my hand.

"You sleep like the dead and you and your brother shared a bed for the first like 9 years of your life where you kicked, hit and punched each other all night." He pointed out as he cleaned everything up.

"At least she used a clean needle and I think it's actually because she's better than you." I state. 

"Whatever, let's go. My shift is over and Carter has classes." I nod and we head out of the hospital.  Ares drove us home in silence.

When we got back to our house, we both sat down on the couch and looked out into space. 

"You think she's ok?" I asked finally breaking the silence.

"Yeah, her fever was done and she was doing really well, I was going to discharge her but it seems she was way ahead of me." He said with a small smile. 

"Wanna go to the game room and play?" I asked with a challenging smirk.

"Sure but only because I slept in the on call room." Then we both stood up and headed downstairs to play.

We played games all afternoon, online and board games. In the end I won because I always do. We heard the door open and headed upstairs. We saw Carter walk in and put his things down.

"Did you see Oaklee today?" I ask. He shakes his head and Ares sighs.

"That's good, she should be resting." Ares said.

"In her parents care? They don't seem like the best parents." I pointed out.

"Ok, they may not be the best but we don't have proof if there abusing her if that's what your thinking." Ares says.

"I know but come on, hates medical professionals and her parents are doctors, that makes no sense and she refused to come to your office and was nervous the whole time along with her injuries." Ares nods as he thinks about what I have said.

"Her fear could be anything and some people are scared also she could have a perfectly good reason for her back injuries." 

"You just don't want it to be true and while she was in the hospital did you check her back?" I ask him.

"No, because I would have to tell her and she would never agree." 

"Why not when she was sleeping?" Carter asks speaking for the first time since he came in.

"It's against HIPPA, we can't do anything without her knowing. Since she is a teenager she as control of her health unless she is unconscious."

"Ok, well I'm spending tomorrow at the Library maybe she will be there." Carter says before going upstairs.

"Someone is in a mood." Ares says.

"He's just stressed." I defend.

"Don't you have an appointment to go to?" He asks looking at his watch. I nod and head to my clinic.