Chapter 26

Oaklee Monroe POV

I zone out as he calls CPS. I don't realize he's in front of me until I feel something on my knee. I jolt and move backwards. He puts his hands up in surrender.

"Dr Cruz, I'm sorry you scared me." I said softly.

"Please call me Ares and I'll call you Oak or sweetie, ok?" I nodded with a smile.

"Are they going to send my guardians to jail?" I ask as he sits down right next to me. 

Hello, personal space exists and I demand it.

"If you admit to them abusing you." Right, I forgot. Then I'll be sent to an orphanage for the rest of my life and probably die in my early 20s sounds like the life.

I don't know how to respond to that so I just stay quiet until there's a knock on the door. 

"Come in." Ares says. The door opens and in walks a lady. 

She is dressed in a black skirt with black heels, she has a nice button down yellow shirt. She has long black hair and hazel eyes. She smiles and I smile back. She looks really nice.

"Hi, I'm Sally Williams, I got a call about a possible abuse and I just wanted to have a talk." Ares nods and leaves the room as she sits down on the couch opposite of me.

"So what's your name?" She smiles softly again and it makes me happy.

"Oaklee Monroe." She nods. That's when I notice the bag she brought with her. She takes out a paper and pen along with her laptop. She puts the paper on the laptop and starts writing down my information. She asks my age, birthday and other information.

"So who do you live with?"

"My aunt and uncle." She nods.

"And they hurt you?" I nod but then remember the verbal response rule.

"Yeah, when I'm bad." I whisper out.

"How did they hurt you?" She now has a serious face and I kinda wish she would smile again.

"They would whip me and they broke my arm. Sometimes punches, kicking, random medical treatments." I say playing with the blanket because it seems to calm me down.

"Medical treatments?" She asks.

"Yeah, their doctors, well my aunt is a nurse and my uncle is a doctor so whenever they have some kinda new drug for some disease they test on me even if I'm not sick." I cheer in my head for not stuttering.

"I'm so sorry." I nod and she writes so more things down. She asks where I live and I give her my address. "My partner will come later to take some pictures for evidence, ok?" I nod and she smiles again. 

"It was nice to meet you Sally." I say as she leaves. She sends me another smile and responds with a 'you too'. 

Ares comes back in after talking with Sally. He smiles and then grabs a pen front his desk. He frown at the pen and grabs a black sharpie instead.

"Can I sign your cast?" I nod and hold it out to him. He scribbles his name across it and smiles. "I'm going to do some work now but you can sleep or if you want you can talk or...read and if you need anything at all you can ask me." I nod and he sits behind his desk going through paperwork.

I just stare at the wall until I fall asleep. 

---

A soft hand on my should wakes me. I look up to see Ares standing over me with another women. She smiles at me. 

"She's here to take some pictures, ok?" I nod. "Her name is Claire and she is super nice. I'll leave you two alone." He leaves and she smiles at me.

"So about we start with the cast and then we can move on." She starts taking picture of my arms and front, then back. Everything is a little weird and uncomfortable but I breath through it. When she is done she smiles at me.

"You did very well. I hope if we ever meet again, it's under better circumstances." 

Not to be rude or anything but bitch you work in child protective services the only time we will ever meet is if I'm being abused again, it's not like where going to date or something. 

I wanna say but instead nod and smile. Ares walks back in and lets me do whatever again. I sleep again because I can. The next time I'm woken, Ares informs me that my guardians have been arrested and they are looking at the house.

"Do you want anything from your room?" I shake my head, everything I need is always in with me. He nods and texts the police officer not to get anything for me.

There's a knock on the door and my heart drops at who walks in.