Chapter 12

Oaklee Monroe POV

We sat on the bench and chatted all afternoon or more like Dakota chatted all afternoon about her summer in Europe but it didn't matter to me because I don't speak much anyway.

Now we were sitting in silence, watching other people. I looked over at her to see her watching me. 

"You're sure you're fine?" She asked again as she looked at me.

"Yeah, why?" I asked even though I was aware that I was shivering and probably looked pale. 

"Well, you're shivering and pale and before when I touched your hand you were burning, also you're sweating and don't look too good."

"I'm fine, just a little sick." She raised her eyebrow at my comment.

"Little sick?" She said like she was mocking me. "I know what sick and little sick looks like, this is stay at home sick, not be brave and go to school sick."

"Well, my parents don't want me to stay home so I'm at school." I said with a shrug of my shoulders. 

"Well, then why don't we spend the afternoon at the nurses office, at least there we can get you some medicine and rest." She made pouting lips but I just shook my head.

"No, no, no." I said as I thought of a way to get out of this.

"Why not? Dr Cruz is so nice and it'll be good for you." She pleaded with me but I still shook my head.

"I'm not to fond of medical professionals and anyway I have to get home." I tried to get up but she just pulled me back down onto the bench.

"Elio!" She exclaims as she looks behind me. I look behind me and find a boy around Dakota's age. He has blonde hair and blue eyes. He has a big smile on and is wearing a jersey of some sport and jeans. 

"Kota, my girl. What's up?" They do a weird handshake before the start talking way to fast for me to listen especially since I can feel a headache coming on. When they are finally done, they both walk over to me.

"Elio, Oaklee. Oaklee, Elio. He's my best friend." I smile and shake his hand.

"Damn girl, your skin fire, like literally." I pull my hand away and tuck it into my jacket pocket.

"Yeah, she has a fever and is refusing to go to see Dr Cruz." Dakota says. He pouts and looks at me with a tilt of his head.

"Why don't you want to go?" He crouches down in front of me and rests his head on my thighs looking up at me with a pout and puppy eyes. 

What is happening?

Story of my life. I should frame that thought and put it in my room. 

"Uh, I-I don't really like medical professionals." I whisper to him. He gives me a cute boy smile and grabs my hand.

"Want me to hold your hand?" He says looking at me again with puppy eyes. This is terrifyingly cute.

I don't have the time to answer because Dakota screams across the campus.

"ARES CRUZ!" She waves at him. I look around in panic and see him walking out of the main building with the Rivera brothers. He doesn't see me yet and waves back at her. She motions for him to come and he looks at her raised eyebrow but starts walking this way anyway.

I look around in panic and my breathing grows shallow.

"You were not kidding when you said you were scared but don't worry, your boy Elio is here." He says as he sits next to me and hugs me.

I am so not used to human touch but for some reason his hug is nice and warm. My breathing seems to go back to normal till I hear his voice. I hide my face in Elio's chest as he talks to Dakota.

"What's up Dakota?" He sounds like he's smiling.

"Got a friend who might have a fever and I wanted you to check her out." I tense up when I hear them come closer.

"Sure." 

He comes even closer and I think crouches right in front of me. I pull my face out of Elio's chest to face him. When I do, he doesn't look shocked either he knew it was me or he covers it up really well.

"Hi sweetie, can I check your pulse and temperature?" He asks softly. I nod and he gently grabs my wrist. He looks at his watch has he holds my wrist. Then he take out a thermometer and puts it under my armpit.

When it beeps, he takes it out and I re zip my jacket because damn it's cold.

"Ok, so it seems you have a fever so I'll give you some medicine and then you should rest at home." I nod and get up waiting for the medicine.

"I'm gonna go home once he gives it to me, but it was nice meeting you guys." I say to Dakota and Elio as Dr Cruz stands up and puts his bag on the bench going through it.

I grab my bag and wait.

"It was nice meeting you too, you should come to some of my games." Elio says before giving a salute to Dakota and leaving.

"He plays hockey." I nod. "I'll see you Wednesday or maybe we can meet tomorrow in the afternoon. Oh, here's my number and you can text me when you want to meet or when you're free." I nod and grab the piece of paper with her number. 

I stash it in my pocket as Dr Cruz faces me.

"Here, take this one and you should feel better. I need to see you take it." He says as he hands me a big pill and a bottle of water. 

I look at the pill before uncapping the water. I put the pill in my mouth and drink some water before swallowing. 

"Bye." I mumble to Dakota before grabbing my bag and leaving. The moment I'm out of sight I spit out the pill from under my tongue. I throw it out and walk home.

Some of us just can't swallow pills or big pills.

When I get home, my aunt and uncle are both at work so I head to my room and take a cold shower. I change and just fall asleep the moment my head hits the bed.