Prologe

I adopted this book from @MyNameIsVarian, thank you for letting me do that. I thought the song above went with this chapter. Also, I hope you all enjoy it too. If you want to see the original, just head over to @MyNameIsVarian 

Varian sat in that cold concrete cell staring blankly at the ceiling above him, he was isolated and alone with no Ruddiger by his side, he felt vulnerable without his gloves and goggles as he had taken them for granted. How did it come to this? Varian had tricked Rapunzel into getting him the flower, kidnapped the queen, almost killed Rapunzel and her friends, all to save his father. And now look where he ended up; in a jail cell by the king's order instead of trying to help him like he had promised Rapunzel. He counted the days he spent in that place as he waited impatiently, occasionally walking back and forth in his cell trying to formulate a plan to escape it. But the guards that were posted next to his cell were going to be bothersome.

The Royal Advisor did occasionally visit but all for the wrong reasons, Nigel tortured him every week using a whip when he did anything like talking back and the cuffs made it unbearable, he couldn't help but shed a tear every time. His cries of pain were muffled and yet the anger he had was the only thing keeping him going. He had overheard the conversations of the guards one night. The Princess left without paying him a visit, He scoffed "Was He so unimportant that they had forgotten about him? Just like her father she turns a blind eye to the things that tarnishes her little perfect image".

She was going to somewhere called "The Dark Kingdom.'' He had heard that name before and yet he couldn't pinpoint where he recalled it, and yet none of it matters. What matters is how he would or can escape and the chance came. He peeked through the bars of the cell only to see a gray fur ball run up to his cell, Varian smiled in delight "Ruddiger!" He said in a hushed tone in order to not wake up the Guards who had fallen asleep due to exhaustion.

The raccoon chittered as well, nearly dropping the item in its mouth. It was a vial of acid from his lab "Ruddiger You genius! How did you get in here?" Varian asked.

Ruddiger was taken away from him and was released back into the wild and yet Ruddiger somehow found a way back into old corona, took the vial, and slipped inside the castle undetected. "You never cease to amaze me bud, now let's get out of here." Varian said gently.

He took the vial from the raccoon's mouth and dropped a bit of its contents onto the cell's keyhole. He opened the door slowly making sure to not let a sound be heard, also letting Ruddiger be perched on his shoulder as he tiptoed to the exit. Suddenly, Varian was stopped by the sound of a guard shouting "Stop him!" He turned around to see the guards wake up from the noise.

Varian dashed through the halls trying to find a way out and narrowly avoiding guards left and right until he was surrounded. He did what normal escaped convicts would have done; he broke into a random room and barricaded it. Yes, it wasn't the best thing he could have had come up at the time but at least he wasn't surrounded, for now at least. Varian quickly tied three sheets of blankets together to form a rope then broke open a window. The guards pounded on the door; Varian looked back at the door then climbed down the handcrafted rope. 

He ran and ran until his feet gave weight to the exhaustion. He needed to get back to Old Corona to see his father just one last time before he was taken back to prison. His raccoon expressed its concern to the boy who was on the verge of collapsing. Varian slowly but surely successfully walked back to Old Corona, the same as he left it. He stumbled back into his old home thinking to himself 'Freddy really needs to start thinking of where he should post his guards'. He entered the house slowly making sure to look around before entering so that he didn't get jumped by some guards. 

Tears rolled down his cheeks as he stared at his father who was still surrounded by the amber. The memory of the argument between him and his father replayed in his head. He wished that he would take back all the things he had said to Quirin or maybe if he had listened in the first place, things wouldn't have spiraled out of control. Varian grabbed an old satchel his dad used when he went to the market and dumped everything that wasn't already destroyed into the satchel.

He then took a moment to breathe and sigh. "I'm sorry, Ruddiger, I... I promise this will be the last time I use this on you." Varian spoke.

He dropped some of the contents of the vial onto Ruddiger making him become that same ferocious beast that had harmed innocent people. Varian climbed onto the back of Ruddiger and ran somewhere far where they wouldn't be seen. However, they were ambushed by the captain who was still injured from the fight and a couple of guards "Stop right there criminal!'' he heard one of the guard's shouts.

They were surrounded, Varian looked around anxiously trying to find some other way to escape this predicament. To his surprise, a door appeared from thin air and opened. With no other option left to avoid jail, Varian entered the door along with his loyal raccoon. Little did he know that door would take him into a new adventure that would change his life.