Episode 3: Escaping Expulsion

"Light in the darkness, glittering brig of ice, the mightiest trees in the forest! You can make all these and more with glyph magic! Welcome to day three of Luz's Magic Boot Camp." Luz shouts with pride as King is startled by the fire and runs away screaming.

Since Lilith and Eda lost their magic; Luz has been giving them and Varian lessons on glyphs. They had already covered all the glyphs Luz had found since she didn't know where to find more. Eda also got Varian enrolled at Hexside so he can learn more about the Boiling Isles. Lilith seemed to understand most of what Luz was teaching but Eda was rushing through the lessons. She tried to do a double glyph combo but it only made a small explosion. Luz kept reminding Eda that she needs to master the basics before trying something like that.

"Toot-toot! The Hexide train is a-coming! Chugga-chugga." Hooty says as he lifts Luz and Varian up.

"Okay King and Ruddiger are in charge while I'm gone. Byeee!" Luz shouts.

Luz and Varian headed to Hexside, although Varian was less excited about going to school since he even went to one. Even though Varian is curious to learn more about this world, he didn't want to waste time on school stuff. Luz thought it would be a good experience to learn new types of magic for Varain, plus she wanted to introduce him to Willow, Gus, and Amity. This was Luz's first day back after Eda's petrification ceremony and she was nervous about facing them.

The second Luz and Varian entered the school, Willow and Gus spotted Luz and they ran to hug her. "Luz! You're okay!" Gus spoke, his voice changed.

"Woah Gus. Did I uh- miss a birthday or something?" Luz asks.

"Witch puberty." Gus answers.

Gus noticed Varian standing behind Luz and she introduced him to Willow and Gus. Gus was more excited about seeing another human on the Boiling Isles. Willow noticed Varian's Hexside uniform, the sleeves were yellow for the potion track and the pants were green for the plant track. Amity walked over to Luz, and she gave her a homemade fairy pie. She notices that there's actual living fairies inside the pie which freaked her out a bit. But the gesture was really sweet, and Luz took the pie as Amity blushed a little. Luz introduced Varian to Amity, but Varian looked a little tense around Amity.

"You know after everything that's happened, I'm just happy to return to some sense of normalcy." Luz says with a smile.

Unfortunately, Luz jinxed them just as the school speakers were turned on and a woman spoke into it. "We are the Parent Creature Association. Luz Noceda, Willow Park and Augustus Porter report to Principal Bump's office now! And you too, Amity."

Amity gasped; her mother was here at the school. Varian just looked a little bit confused at what was happening. Luz assured him that it was probably just a misunderstanding. She told Varian to just head to his first class while she and her friends get this whole thing sorted out. But she, Willow, and Gus never returned from the principal's office. Varian only found Amity in the hallways looking guilty. Varian asked her what was going on and where Luz was. Amity confessed that both of her parents convinced Bump to expel Luz, Willow, and Gus from Hexside as punishment for her performance at school.

"What? Amity, why didn't you try to help them?" Varian asked with a hint of rage.

"I couldn't. You don't know my mother. She'll ruin anyone's life just to get what she wants. Including mine. But I never meant for them to get in trouble. I know I'm a coward." Amity confessed.

Varian stormed away from Amity then ran out to the front of the school to find the others. He found Willow and Gus looking disappointed about what had just happened. He found Luz talking to Odalia Blight, Amity's mother asking her what they had ever done to her. "Luz was it..? Please. This isn't personal. I actually appreciate your tenacity. We're trying to teach our daughter a valuable lesson in business." Odalia says with a smug grin.