Episode 5: Keeping Up A-Fear-Ances

When Eda was cursed with the Owl Beast as a teen, her mother Gwendolyn called almost every healer to try and cure Eda. But nothing seemed to work which ticked Gwendolyn off. The last straw was when a healer gifted Eda a gem that will tell her when the beast's energy starts to surface. She took the healer out into the hall and complained to the healer. The healer tried to suggest consulting the potions coven to give Eda something to keep the beast at bay. Gwendolyn was even listening and wanted that beast gone even if they had to cut it out of Eda.

Eda overheard everything that her mom said, she was terrified then ran away from her house. She ran all the way to the backyard; she stumbled on the portal door and used it to escape her mother. Gwendolyn decided that if the healers couldn't help her, then she would find another way to cure Eda, no matter the cost.

Eda was just getting ready for the day and taking her morning elixir. She came into the kitchen where Luz was asleep after an all nighter trying to find a way to build a portal to the human realm. "Mean!" Eda shouted, which started Luz awake. "We ran out of apple blood. Still no luck?"

"None. And I was up all night. I read every tome, book, notepad and tea leaf. But nothing explains how to make a portal to the Human Realm." Luz stated as she looked down on the table.

Eda wished she could help Luz but the door she found was already old when she found it. Luz asked Eda how long she had the door. Before she could answer, they suddenly heard Lilith scream. They ran to the living room and found Lilith on the floor, her hand turning into a feathered claw. Eda rushed into action by grabbing an elixir from under a pillow and gave it to Lilith. Her hand started turning back to normal; thanks to Lilith splitting the curse with Eda, the elixirs were working again.

Lilith panicked when she saw that her hand had fallen off and Eda placed it back on, a small side effect of the curse but Eda thought it was fun. Eda stashed elixirs all over the house so whenever Lilith felt feathery, she could help herself to an elixir. "I had no idea this is what I did to you. I am so sorry," Lilith apologizes.

"Eh, at least I got company now. And you got me if you need anything." Eda says as she walks away.

Eda explained that she had the portal door for years, never finding out who made it or where it came from. Varian came out of the Owl House overhearing everything. Luz was curious about Eda's past and why she didn't tell anyone. She stated that she was mostly using the door to hide from someone. Before Luz could ask Eda, the wind suddenly picked up then a tornado of sorts came their way.

The tornado stopped revealing an older witch with a hawk palisman. "Hello, little witchlet. Come here." the lady said as she walked to Eda ready to hug her.

"Gwendolyn." Eda spoke, annoyed.

"Are we still on that? I'm your mother, call me Mom." Gwendolyn said with a bright smile.

Gwendolyn had heard about the petrification ceremony and wanted to check on Eda. Lilith heard her mother outside then she rushed to her side wanting to say hi and to tell her that she was there too at the petrification ceremony. Gwendolyn just ignored Lilith, but she did like her dyed hair and wanted to tell Eda something important. Gwendolyn claimed that she had found a way to cure Eda's curse after thirty years. Eda turned down her mother's offer, she got her elixir system and that was enough.

"But who knows what they put in those nasty concoctions?" Gwendolyn asked.

"Actually, I do. And would you look at the time?" Eda said while putting her mother on her staff. "I got a lot to do today. So sad to see you go. Okay, Bye!" Eda slapped the staff making it fly away from the Owl House.

Eda turned around to see Lilith, Luz, and Varian staring at her with their jaws wide open. Lilith complained that she hadn't seen their mother in forever and she was handing her a cure on a silver platter. Luz and Varian were both shocked that Eda had pushed her mother away. Eda explained that Gwendolyn comes around every year with a new "cure" for the curse, but they never work. She was done getting her hopes up. Lilith just walked back into the house looking disappointed that her own mother never visited her but Eda.