Episode 23: Lost and Found

After a long time on the road, they only had a day left until they reached the Dark Kingdom. Eugene pulled out the two torn scroll pieces to match up with the piece that Varian had found from the Boiling Isles. Eugene was nervous about what they might find. Hector warned them that if they reached the Dark Kingdom, they were doomed. Plus with the three torn scroll pieces that no one could even read, they had no idea what was waiting for them. Eda, Lilith, Willow, Gus, and King were with Lance and Cass out in the woods foraging for extra food to take on the journey. Luz and Amity were most likely on a date so Hunter and Varian were with Rapunzel.

Rapunzel pulled a little guilt trip on Eugene making him think that he forgot about her birthday. Well, it worked, and Rapunzel made it so that today was Eugene's birthday. Even though Eugene didn't know the exact day that he was born, Rapunzel figured that today could be his birthday. Eugene didn't really believe in the whole wish-making thing but he was willing to spend the day with Rapunzel. Varian told Rapunzel that he and Hunter could try and translate the scroll pieces. With that Rapunzel and Eugene took off for a little time alone. Varian managed to translate a little bit of the scroll but it was also impossible.

Hunter suggested to Varian that he should take a break and clear his head. So, Varian packed the scroll pieces and Demanitus's journal in his bag, and the two of them took a walk in the forest. Ruddiger, Flapjack, and Sapphire joined them. During their walk, they came across a small wagon. Outside the wagon was a sign that Hunter spotted. The sign read, Vigor the Visionary, See-er, and Know-er of All. "Humans have oracle magic? Fascinating." Hunter stated.

"Um, Hunter, while oracle magic exists in the Demon Realm. Here, some humans use it as a scam to get money out of others." Varian explained.

"Come on, let's just give it a try. Besides, what's the harm?" Hunter stated.

However, Rapunzel and Eugene had just come out of the wagon with a monkey in a turban and diaper on Eugene's head. Apparently, the monkey, Vigor had given them a fortune that said, "For you, the path awaits, where the final quarter lies after many dire straits." Rapunzel knew that meant that Vigor was talking about the final piece of the scroll and he was going to guide them. Vigor jumped down from Eugene's head and then ran off. Not wasting another moment, Rapunzel, Eugene, Hunter, and Varian ran after Vigor. As they run, their surroundings become damp and foggy.

"Whoa! Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa," Eugene says, struggling to keep up. "It's my birthday, remember?!"

"Vigor, wait up!" Rapunzel calls out as the monkey screeches.

Vigor stopped atop a stone monument which allowed the others to catch up. Eugene leans down and brushes away the vines and cobwebs off of the monument. On the monument were words etched on the stone that read, The Path of Demanitus. Varian squealed in delight when he realized what this place was. Vigor screeched again then ran ahead of them into the archway. Varian and Hunter ran after Vigor while Rapunzel and Eugene followed from behind. When they emerged from the other end of the archway, they were shocked to discover a gigantic, sprawling maze ahead of them with no end in sight.

"It's a-a-a..." Eugene stammers.

"A-maze-ing!" Rapunzel finishes excitedly.

Varian was equally as excited, if not more so, but he still gave Rapunzel a side glance. "Okay, enough with the puns."

But Rapunzel's smile only widens. "This is great! I've always wanted to go through a giant maze."

"This isn't just any maze, Princess," Varian says with a smirk. "This maze was created by Lord Demanitus! There's no telling what kind of marvels we're going to discover inside!"

"Would have been nice if Demanitus had left a map or something to get through the maze," Hunter commented.

"You require no map..." They hear a deep voice say behind them. They spin around in shock to discover Vigor hanging from a vine, staring at them intensely with fixed eyes. He leaps off of the vine and stands up in front of them with a more human-like posture. "For I... am Lord Demanitus!"