Chapter 4

Word Count: 1263

Joe's POV

Hi," her voice croaks as if she has been crying for a while. Her glasses frame her face perfectly as her blue eyes flicker between me and Averie.

"Hey," I breathe out in shock.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to interrupt or wake anyone," she grimaced as she rocked on her heels.

"You're not interrupting," I try to reassure. I don't want her to leave again so I'm gonna do anything to keep her here.

A small grunt escapes Averie as she shivered against me while trying to pull herself closer.

"I can go, you're busy," Taylor takes a step back turning to walk away.

"Please don't go," I desperately pleaded while adjusting the blanket over Averie.

"You're busy, I don't wanna take away anymore of her time with you," she replies quietly, trying to avoid eye contact with me.

"Taylor, please don't go. I really want to talk plus Averie's asleep. I'll put her down and we can talk," I pleaded once more.

"Are you sure? I don't want to hurt anyone," she whispers, insecurities on display.

"Then stay," I pull the door open a little more.

"Okay, I'll stay. Just let me text Greg an update," she concedes stepping into the apartment. I close the door behind her before tucking Averie's blanket around her feet.

Her nose is so stuffy that some small snoring sounds fill the empty space. Her small hand comes up to what I think is to wipe her nose but she quickly slips her thumb into her mouth. Oh so we're back to thumb-sucking, I thought we broke that habit last year.

"Is there something wrong?" Taylor breaks my train of thought as I look back at her.

"Just Averie, she's sucking her thumb again," I chuckle before gently removing her hand from her mouth. She whined in retaliation before slipping it back into her mouth.

"She seems a bit determined," Taylor cracks a small smile, one I've missed too much.

"Nugget, come on get that out of your mouth," I scold gently pulling her thumb again. This time she briefly wakes to glare at me.

"Noooo," she whines tiredly.

"Yes, come on, let's get you back in your bed," I bounce her lightly before heading down the hall. I go to place Averie down in her bed but she clings to me instead. Her arms are still wrapped tightly around my neck.

"Nugget, you've gotta let go. I need to talk to Taylor," I explain trying to break her tight grip.

"No go, Daddy," she mutters. I look over my shoulder to see Taylor observing us from the hall. It's not awkward but I still feel anxious that I'm doing something wrong.

"Just a few minutes, please?" I whisper, trying not to sound too desperate.

"No my daddy," she whines opening her eyes to pout at me.

"Aver-" I start but Taylor cuts me off while I manage to get out of Averie's tight grip.

"You don't have to put her down Joe. If she needs you I don't want to interfere, we can still talk or maybe try again another time," Taylor softly speaks as if she too is anxious to be here.

"Nakey lady?" Avery coughs as she squints one of her eyes open. I look at her in shock before turning to see if Taylor heard, sure enough, her face was blush pink.

"Nugget, I told you that's not nice to call her that," I scold lightly trying to bite back a laugh, "her name is Taylor."

"I like nakey lady," Avery huffs groggily, growing less tired by the second. I swear she was sleeping when Taylor came over. It's like the medicine has magically cured my child or she just doesn't care and is too happy to ridicule me.

"Averie no," I scold firmly.

"Daddy, the nakey lady is watching us," she replies with a sleepy smirk.

"I was gonna let you come hang out with us while we talk but if you're gonna be mean. You can go straight to bed," I tell her, wiping that smirk right off her face as her jaw drops.

"I be good, I wanna stay with you and cuddle," she changes her attitude quickly before jumping up on the bed and stretching her arms out.

"Okay, do you have everything you need? Blanket, piglet? All that?" I ask before picking her up. She gathers her teddy and blanket before standing in front of me on the bed.

"Daddy my tummy hurts," she complains as I carry her out to the living room where Taylor had returned to.

"Do you think you're going throw up again?"

"No, I just feel yucky," she sighs.

"I'm sorry. How's your throat? We should probably check your levels soon," I tell her as we wander to the kitchen to grab the O2 sensor.

"I'm tired," she dismisses. She's never been a huge fan of anything concerning her health.

"You could show Taylor how it works? I bet she'd even let you see what her levels are," I try to bribe hoping that maybe having Taylor here could help Avery wear the sensor.

"Check my what?" Taylor raises an eyebrow at us.

"No," Averie denies as she stuffs her face into my neck.

"We can wait for a little," I decide as I sit down with her on the couch. I readjust the blanket to wrap her like a little burrito before ushering Taylor to come to sit down.

Averie gives Taylor a suspicious look and Taylor returns the same but hers is gentler. I pull my phone out of my pocket and Averie's headphones off the table. It's like the world has lined up for this because I didn't think I'd have her headphones here. I hand her the phone and turn on a video that reads her a story before turning to Taylor.

"I think I can start. First of all, she got sick this evening so I'm really sorry you had to see all that and that she keeps calling you nakey lady. I'm not sure why she keeps doing that. But I'm most of all sorry that I omitted so much of the truth. I know you've been through a lot and the last thing I wanted to do was hurt you."

"You don't have to apologize for taking care of your daughter. I am still hurt that you felt you couldn't trust me with the knowledge that she was yours," Taylor glumly admits as she looks between me and Averie. 

"I am so so sorry that I broke your trust. I did not mean to in the slightest. I think a large part of me will always want to protect Averie which often means omitting that I'm a dad."

"I get wanting to protect your family but from me?" Taylor's face fell as she tried to hide her sadness.

"I think it was subconsciously. I rarely tell people about her, it's for her protection. Her birth mother didn't have the best of friends, often putting Averie in danger because of their childish behaviors."

"You were young, I know that. But why did I have to wait to know until she barged into your bedroom?"

A/n

I was gonna make this a long chapter but was too stunned by the rumors. I will live in denial until Taylor decides to speak out about the rumors. It was like I was living through a possible breakup myself 😭

Let me know what you thought/any suggestions.

See you in the next one Friends!