Chapter 24

Word Count: 3379

Taylor's POV

It took us about an hour to get Averie to sleep last night. Every little thing would upset her. We eventually just brought her to bed with us and she slept in between Joe and me. It was nice to be able to sleep in a bed again. I was gonna sleep on the couch but she insisted that I stay with both of them. I've never really slept with a little kid in my bed so that was new. I didn't realize how much they tossed and turned.

She woke me up in the middle of the night to ask me if I was really sure I wasn't an actress. I caved and told her I'm a part-time actress, which then started an entire conversation about part-time versus full-time work. It was truly riveting at three in the morning. She continued to ask me questions for a little while longer as I tried my best not to lose my cool with her. Joe was sleeping soundly which was pretty irritating.

By the time I woke up the next day, she was sitting in Joe's torso quizzing him about what she and Patrick did while we were gone. Does she just not sleep? Joe looks sleepy as if he's trying to keep his attention on her without falling asleep. We cuddled for about an hour in the morning while watching TV before having pancakes for breakfast. Today seems like one of those days when she was moody as hell. I swear sassy Averie is one thing but moody Averie has mood swings. You never know if you'll get a rude comment or a crying kid.

"What do you think of going on a little walk today, Nugget? Maybe some fresh air could be good for us all?" Joe suggests as he tries to get her to positively engage.

Averie puts on her thinking face for a moment before nodding very discreetly. "I was thinking maybe we can show Taylor, your fairy lake?" Joe adds as he watches Averie carefully for an answer. This time she nods her head eagerly before reaching out to Joe. I pass her over and she whispers in his ear.

"Yeah, we can get your sling. Do you think we should bring your new kitty cat cup?" Joe gets up from the kitchen table with Averie. I watch unsure of what I'm supposed to be doing. I don't want to say I feel left out because that's the wrong word but ever so often I have this feeling like I'm not in the right place. It's like I'm watching them speak a foreign language because if you catch them in the right moment it's like they've been this close forever.

I'm still not sure how I feel about Joe and his daughter's relationship. It's not really my business but it also kind of is. I can say I forgive him and I do but that doesn't mean my feelings aren't still valid. Sometimes I feel like I understand where he's coming from when he talks about being away from her for so long. But on the other hand, I cannot believe that he was away for so long.

"Okay, hmm, alright," Joe continues to talk to Averie as she whispers in his ear. "Taylor?" He draws my full attention.

"Hmm?" I purse my lips together unsure if I'm about to be disinvited from the rest of their plans today.

"We are going to go to the fairy lake then when we get back Nugget was wondering if you'd like to go to dinner with us. She said if you're nice, she'll buy us dessert," Joe smiles a cheesy smile at me. I can tell he's proud of how much kinder Averie has been towards me since our initial meeting.

"That sounds great," I agree, matching his cheesy smile.

"Awesome, well Averie has requested that you fill up her kitty cat cup because apparently only girls can touch it. She is also wondering if you could possibly help her with her hair, specifically if you can do it like yours," Joe informs me as Averie gives him a look that screams she's the boss here.

"Of course, I can do that, " I direct my answer towards Averie who nods pleased that we peasants can do her bidding. She's starting to remind me of Meredith.