Chapter 38

Word Count: 2588

Averie's POV

As soon as we arrived, I was getting attacked by people and cats. Taylor said that there were a lot of friends coming to visit her as well. I didn't really like that, I don't want to share her attention. I snuggled into Daddy's hold as everyone excitedly greeted us. I didn't like that so I just clung to Daddy.

"Hey baby?" A familiar voice fills the air, I subtly open one eye to look. It was Taylor. I don't even need to look to know that it was her hand on my back. Daddy loosened his hold on me so that Taylor could hold me. I buried my head in her chest, inhaling her sweet perfume that I missed so much.

"It's okay, you're okay," Taylor whispered into my hair as she kissed my head. I tried to hide away further into her. I didn't like the chaotic commotion of new people. What if they were secretly bad guys? Where is Greg? Who would beat them up for me?

"I'll be right back, she seems a little overwhelmed," Taylor tells the chatty group.

"Averie, why are you crying babes?" She cooed after stepping away from the group. I'm not crying! My eyes just hurt.

"Nooo," I whined burrowing my head into her. I hated traveling here, it was loud, and scary, and I had to sit in my own seat. No one cuddled me during take off of landing or even in between. Well Daddy did after my nightmare but then it was time to land so it didn't last long. Now I'm tired and hungry and sad-mad.

I also had a nightmare on the plane and I am still scared that it might be true. I clung to Taylor desperate for comfort. Today has been terrible. It's hard to travel with my Daddy and Uncle Tom together. Uncle Patrick stayed back because he didn't have a passport yet.

"Knock knock," a soft whisper escapes Taylor as she bounces me in her arms.

I peeked out from my hiding spot in Taylor's embrace, seeing a kind smile on her face. "Who's there?" I mumbled, still feeling a bit unsure about all the new faces around.

"Cuddles," Taylor replied, tightening her arms around me gently.

"Cuddles who?" I played along, my small voice carrying a hint of curiosity.

"Cuddles make everything better," Taylor whispered, and I felt a warm sensation in my chest. She gets me. For a moment, the overwhelming noise of the room faded as I laid my head back on her chest and one of her hands came up to cover up my other ear.

Taylor continued to hold me close, shielding me from the unfamiliar surroundings. As I listened to what seemed like distant chatter of people, I began to relax in her arms. Maybe, just maybe, this new place wouldn't be as scary as I dreamt.

In the safety of Taylor's embrace, the chaos around me transformed into a distant hum. I closed my eyes, allowing the gentle rhythm of her heartbeat to guide me into a much-needed rest. She even swayed a little to coax me into calming down.

"Aunt Taylor! Who's that!?!" A squeaky voice spooked me just before I fell asleep. I nearly started crying after hearing them be so loud.

"James, shh inside voice please," another new voice spoke up.

"Sorry, who's that?" They repeated.

"This is Averie, do you remember me telling you about her?" Taylor softly answered.

"No," James deadpanned. I nuzzled my head into Taylor more. I just it to be me and her. No one else.

"Averie is Joe's daughter, do you know who Joe is?" Taylor speaks up.

"Yeah, he's your boyfriend!" James gleefully answers. She sounds like a wild child.

"Yes, honey, can you use your inside voice please?" The voice scolds again.