Chapter 42

Word Count: 4935

Nobody's POV

Tom, Jack, and Selena exchanged glances, their concern deepening as they headed up the driveway, following their late-night/early-morning escapades. The early-morning air greeted them and they nearly stopped in their tracks when they spotted a peculiar sight on the porch. There, under the soft glow of a dimly lit lamp, they discovered the source of Averie's comfort. Greg, with an unwavering commitment to his security duties, stood vigilant, his gaze scanning the surroundings with the precision of a seasoned guardian.

Beside him, Averie stood, a small figure in the night, casting shy glances at the trio. The pacifier that had become a symbol of both comfort and distress dangled from her lips. The contrast between the seriousness of Greg's duty and the vulnerability etched on Averie's face created a poignant picture.

Tom, Jack, and Selena approached, their steps measured as they entered the sphere of Greg's watchful presence. Averie's eyes, wide with a mixture of apprehension and hope, followed their movements.

"Greg, Tiny, what's going on?" Tom inquired, his voice a careful blend of curiosity and concern.

Greg turned to face them, his expression unwavering and his hand never leaving Averie's. "Averie had a tough night. She missed dinner and needed a bit of extra care."

Jack's eyes narrowed, a protective glint shining through. "Missed dinner? What happened?" Why isn't Joe or Taylor out here?

Averie, sensing the attention directed at her, shuffled slightly, a subtle movement closer to Greg. The night's stillness held a shared concern, an unspoken understanding that this situation demanded clarity.

Selena, her voice gentle yet firm, addressed Greg, "Is this the best way to take care of her? It's not normal for a child to be outside like this at this hour."

Greg sighed, recognizing the gravity of the situation. "I've been on duty, and Averie didn't want to be alone anymore. But I can assure you, she's safe."

Tom's gaze shifted between Greg and Averie, a lingering worry etched on his face. "It's not about her safety alone. It's about her emotional well-being. Something's not right."

Averie, sensing the tension, looked up at Greg with wide eyes, seeking reassurance. Greg, in turn, acknowledged the concerns of the adults around him.

"I understand your worry, but Averie needed someone to be there for her tonight. The situation inside wasn't conducive for her well-being, so we decided to bundle her up and keep her out here."

Selena nodded, her concern not alleviated but tempered with understanding. "We just want to make sure she gets the support she needs. It's important she feels safe and cared for."

"I understand and assure you my team and I have done our best. She had some food around dawn and we were gonna give her some waffles in about an hour. I don't expect anyone to be up until late morning. But I do imagine she'll be hungry again before since she usually naps around eleven," Greg answers confidently, after all, he has had all about an hour to come up with a plan.

"Tiny? Do you wanna come lay down with me?" Tom reached his arms out towards his niece.

Averie shook her head, clasping Greg's hand tighter. Averie was caught between the roles of a child seeking comfort and a witness to the adult world's intricacies. She didn't want to leave Greg, so her small frame stood as a testament to the vulnerability that threaded through the morning air.

"That's okay, how about we come get you later? I bet some cuddles would cheer you up. Where's Daisy? Did you bring her out here?" Tom tried to help, hoping to hear down type of verbal reaction from her.