Chapter 37

Word Count: 3281

Taylor's POV

"Mom, I had a talk with Averie, and it was really tough," I began, my voice carrying a weight of concern. "She asked me if her dad is a bad daddy because he's not around much, and I just didn't know how to respond."

"Oh honey, what did you say?"

I sighed, "I tried to reassure her, you know, saying that her dad loves her, but it's so delicate. I don't want to say anything negative about Joe, but I also want to acknowledge Averie's feelings."

Mom nodded, understanding the delicate balance I was facing. "It's tough, Taylor. You want to be honest without causing more confusion or hurt. Maybe emphasize that her Joe's love is constant, even if he can't always be there physically."

"Yeah, that makes sense," I admitted, grateful for her mom's insight. She probably had to do that when she was on the road with me, instead of being home with Austin.  "But it's hard seeing Averie dealing with all this at such a young age. She was telling me about her friends and how she felt jealous of the simplest things like a goodnight kiss or being picked up from school." I teared up trying to explain it to Mom. 

"It's heartbreaking, but you're doing an important thing by providing her a safe space to express herself. Just keep being that supportive presence. She needs you." Mom pulled me into a tight hug.

I nodded, appreciating my mother's encouragement. "And then she mentioned missing cuddles and kisses from her mom. I want to be there for her, but I also don't want to overstep or make things awkward."

Mom assured me, "Taylor, I'm sure they appreciate your concern. But you're not replacing anyone and based on what you've told me. She needs someone like you in her life. You may not be her mother officially but she trusts you so so much. So don't try to hold back on the cuddles or comforting her because if you do all that's hurting is her."

"Yeah, I guess I didn't think of it like that. I'm just so scared to mess this up," I mumble.

"How so?"

"Well remember those leaked pictures?"

"Uh huh," Mom nodded.

"I like of got like super drunk after Tree told me which was really terrible because it turns out Averie's mom caught wind of them. She called Joe fuming and then yelled at Averie. Her first interaction in years and her mom calls her a brat," I let a few tears fall as I tell my mom. I felt so guilty about that and I still kind of do.

"I'm sorry that happened," Mom kissed the side of my head, reminding me of Averie trying to explain to me what moms do. I lean into her more, soaking up the comfort.

"I just feel so unprepared. I want to be there for her but it feels like such uncharted territory," I confessed, a mix of gratitude and uncertainty in my voice.

Mom smiled warmly, "You're doing great, Taylor. Parenting, even in this capacity, is challenging, but your love and care are making a difference. Just take it one step at a time."

"Thanks for being my mom," I replied after a brief silence. I know so many people who struggle with their relationship with their parents. I'm so grateful to have parents like mine.

——

I didn't realize I would miss both Alwyn's as much as I do now. I need to sort out our next visit but first I needed to get some advice from Blake.

"Hey, Blake, how are you?"

"I'm good, how was Nashville?"

"Crazy, but we survived," I chuckle.